1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hello David...new guy here

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by theycallmeSDZ, Jan 4, 2011.

1. I am totally new to bass guitars.
    I have played brass instruments my whole life and want to do something different.
    I have a question.
    Where do I begin my journey?
    Everyone seems to have different ideas.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Sorry it took awhile for me to respond.

This is such a huge question that has few boundaries. Short answer: Get a bass you feel comfortable playing that will suit your style. There is no "best" as everyone is different. Listen to bass players you want to emulate. Listen as much as you can and try to emulate their playing, analyze the bass lines and stylistic elements. Probably have a very good bass teacher at least to start who would point you in the right direction. Get a good resource (book(s) that have useful information that will give you the tools to CREATE and not just rehash information without guiding you in how to use it. In my books I try to show the player how the material is used in the context of create music and not simply show the information. Listen to as many recordings as possible. Don't focus just on listening to bass players in developing your style. Play with others as often as you can.

Hope this gives you a start.