Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hello first post and ESP Araya model Q

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buzzsaww, Nov 14, 2003.

1. buzzsaww

buzzsaww

Nov 14, 2003
    Denvuh! Colorado
    Hi All,

My name is Matt I'm a converted guitar player. The transition has been amazingly easy, maybe I should have never played guitar? LOL
    Just found this place this afternoon, very cool and has answered some of my questions already.
    My question is has anyone tried the ESP and ESP/LTD Tom Araya series basses? What did you think? Playability, sound, build, etc... I see they've made some minor improvements to them for 2003.

Thanks A Lot!

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Welcome to TB! I think that after hanging out here for a while, you will discover bass isn't nearly as easy as you thought!

Haven't tried the Araya, but ESP generally makes good stuff (even though the necks are a bit too thin for my tastes). I noticed the knobs are located right under the bridge pickup, which could be a problem if you do alot of heavy picking and raking. I used to have a bass with a similar control layout, and just about destroyed my fingers bashing into those things.

3. buzzsaww

buzzsaww

Nov 14, 2003
    Denvuh! Colorado
    Oh I have no doubt of that! I've only just begun my trip up the mountain. :bassist:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tried one at GC (for what that's worth...), and I guess what struck me was that it's not much better than the rest of their entry-level stuff, but with another $400 bucks tacked on. It's a $250, $300 bass...maybe, with a $700 price tag. As I recall, maybe it's less, either way it's not worth the money. Worth some money, just not that money.

But, that's my take. I don't care for the pointy/goth thing.

If it matters at all, I do in fact play metal (as if that validates any of my opinions).

If you want a better metal axe, go find a Lakland Skyline or an MTD Kingston (which I did use for a time. Killer axe), or something like that.

But that's me.