Hello Forum

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BluegrassNick, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Greetings to Talk Bass forum.

I am a new Bass guitar player. It may sound funny but I am primarily a Banjo player. I love bluegrass but also rock and jazz - not into country at all.

I bought a used bass from a buddy of mine because I've always thought the electric bass was an interesting and often overlooked instrument. I think most people have no idea what the bass adds to music...

Anyway I was just saying hello. Now I'll kick back and read your posts.

Oh yes - my bass is a Peavey Foundation 4 string. It's about 7 years old and I got a pretty good deal on it ($100) I think. I figure it's good enough to play around with untill I know what I'm doing...
    all I need now is an little amp that won't make my wife get pi$$ed off when I practice.
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hi, Nick! Welcome to TalkBass!

I'm going to move your thread over to the "Misc" forum. "Basses" is for discussion of, well, basses - and I think your post would do better in a more general area.

Have fun!
  3. Not having a bass in a group is like not having drums, gotta keep the rythem baby :)
  4. Oh! Thanks Heavy! I got excited... :)
  5. Welcome Nick! Glad to have you here!

I just started planning mandolin and have done some research on early bluegrass for a school project.

If you're looking for an amp, might I suggeset a Yorkville combo, they're cheap, nice-sounding and pretty good power. I don't have one, but I've tried one and liked it a lot. you'll also find some other stuff about their amps in the Amps forum.
    In addition, there's Peavey, which are tough, but not the nicest sounding thing on the planet. Still, they have good power for a good price.

Hope to see you around!
  6. BigWig Will,

Good luck with the mandolin! It is one instrument I love above all! I have never played one but I understand it can be frustrating. On the other hand, I assume you are already a talented bass-er so I imagine you will do very well with it. What did you get - acoustic or a/e f-style or a-style...?

I have toyed with the idea of getting a cheapie mandolin to munk around with, but I decided to branch into the electric bass instead. I figured it would do me good to expand beyond bluegrass, plus I was raised on rock-n-roll :) I find it interesting that true musicians are open to all kinds of music genres.

Thanks for the advice on the Yorkville. I had already run across an amp before I read your post - it is an Ampeg B100, 100w, 12" speaker. It is not the "R" model and I understand it was produced in the latter 70's. I picked it up for $100 even. I think it sounds okay but then again I'm all thumbs on the bass so I wouldn't know :)
  7. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Hi, welcome, I am new as well. Maybe we should stick together. Anywho, good luck.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey nick! welcome to talkbass :)