1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hello from a total noob

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by PaulyT, Apr 25, 2010.

1. PaulyT

PaulyT

Apr 25, 2010
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Hi all! Found this forum from a link in studybass.com. I'm completely new to the bass guitar - or any guitar for that matter; I just bought a cheapo electric bass last week (the Ibanez jumpstart package), and am embarking on the learning process. I'm a classical pianist by training - not pro but playing since I was ~5. Thought I'd like to try something totally different. I'm 39, have a steady job, married with two young kids, so I'm not planning to run off and form or join a band... ;) But my interest in non-classical music has increased a lot over the past few years, especially jazz, and I have a friend who's starting up a band that I might be doing some sound work for, as I have some experience with audio gear - though mostly in the realm of home audio rather than band gear. It'd be fun to hang with that band a bit, maybe even play a little with them after I have learned a wee bit more than 1 week's worth. :rolleyes: Also looking to sharpen my music theory skills, and do some ear training and learn to improv a bit, things I didn't get much in the classical realm.

Anyway, enough of the ramble, just a shout out to say I'll be lurking around and seeing what there is to absorb here.

Cheers!