1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELLO FROM ENGLAND

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by DAVETHERAVE, Apr 24, 2006.

1. DAVETHERAVE

DAVETHERAVE

Apr 24, 2006
    Hi,

I started playing bass in December, never having got to grips with an instrument before (I'm 48 but hey, it's never too late to learn, right?). I live in Shrewsbury, England - clue: North-West Midlands, in between Birmingham and Wales and have been a music fan since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

Some friends and I decided to get a band together to play at a charity dinner dance, when the band we had booked split up, due to 'musical differences'. We all work in the local insurance industry and discovered we had a number of musicians, albeit that some were a bit ring-rusty, within our membership, including lead and rhythm guitar, keyboards, drums and a singer (of sorts). That just left the bass and your truly was nominated to lear from scratch. with 10 weeks to go before the 'gig'!

Anyway, we got a set-list of covers together, rehearsed once a week and in February, played our to a packed dance floor for 30 minutes, even getting an encore. I almost crapped myself with stage flight but once we started, it went like a dream and was over before I knew it - what a buzz!

Am still very much a novice but am loving every minute of it, especially playing songs that I've loved listening to for years. We do stuff from the sixties right through to current, rock, soul and pop and have 3 more gigs now booked. We called the band MID LIFE CRISIS, given the age of most of the members and this was our debut set-list:-

ALL RIGHT NOW
    JUMPING JACK FLASH
    HONKY TONK WOMEN
    SWEET HOME ALABAMA
    MOONDANCE
    ANGELS
    DON'T LOOK BACK IN ANGER
    PARANOID

I'm looking forward to picking up some tips from folks in this forum!

Cheers,

Davetherave

2. TombassCaton

TombassCaton

May 4, 2011
    Shrewsbury
    Ah another salopian! Do you play much around the town?