1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hello From Frozen NW Iowa

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Orion61, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Orion61

Orion61

Feb 5, 2015
    NW Iowa
    Hello from Iowa! My name is Larry and I'm a Bass-Aholic. I have been playing since 1976, my first bass was an Aria Violin "Beatle Bass"
    I play a home built P Bass with Razor PU's for their Clean full sound, Mighty Mite Neck,Swamp Ash Body, Finished with old school Nitrocellulose Lacquer (thhere is a place in Texas you can order it from! Just dont leace your guitar out in the cold then bring it in and open the case!!! instant Spider Web Cracks! I had a Jaguar Bass that sounded great but was so heavy it killed me! Plus the electronics were kind of crappy
    Fav Guitar Color is Fender White. Got paid the 1st time on stage when I was 15...
    I have been playing with the same Band for 28 years. Inducted IRRMA Iowa R&R HOF
    Favorite Basses have been an American 62' reissue But it fed back badly!
    Active MIM Jazz Bass, MIJ Jag. I had a Rik 4001 but it hurt my arm while playing and had to play it kind of Chicken Wing style, with my elbow out, I had to run nearly a reverse V EQ.
    I was SOLD on the Peavey T40 in the 80's, the line of "you can get any sound out of it"
    It was OK and you could work on your Bench Press on break with that heavy Bas**rd
    I have worked with a few names no need to drop them cause I'm not with them now...
    My settings? I like smooth lows, a Bright top end and clean mids. I like a nice clean sound that isn't too "boingy" but appreciate your sound if you love it and are half ass good.
    Been playing through a Trace Elliot GP7SM 200W 115 Combo, LOVE the sound and when I bought it the first thing that ran through my mind when I hit my first open E, was "This is the first single 15 that sounds like a Dual 15 stack"!
    Biggest sound in an amp for me was a Peavey Mark 4 with a 1 18" AND 18/2 10" cab stacked!! it was about 6' Tall! but MAN would it bring dust out of the ceiling tiles!!
    I am thinking about picking up a
    Fender RUMBLE 500 2x10 500W
    I have a
    Peavey MAX 112 II 1X12 200W It is a pretty good amp for practice and small gigs.
    We mike EVERYTHING! So we can whisper on stage! We had all been through the ATTITUDES of
    As players we know how good we are NOT.. so e get along pretty well.
    All 4 of us Sing and do 4 part harmony, mostly on the Vintage R&R side with a few Country and select newer Rock tunes..
    we CAN do a night of either.. Love the Beatles, Eagles, Elvis, Motown and Willie.... anything but RAP.. Hip Hop is OK as long as it is tasteful
    I knew Bass was for me when I heard Jerry Scheff Play a Blues Solo with Elvis Live in Omaha Ne. June 30 1974.
    enough about me..
    Hi All!
    Larry B.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. Welcome, glad you are here. Chime in we learn from each other.

3. Orion61

Orion61

Feb 5, 2015
    NW Iowa
    Thanks Malcolm, Thanks! I have used the threads here for reference for some time now.
    I figured I'd join... kinda getting Married after living together sorta feeling lol

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021