1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hello from Massachusetts!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by BayStateBass, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Hi everyone, just wanted to stop in and say hello and introduce myself.

I live in Central Mass, have been married for almost 15 years (21 years with her, though), and have two kids, 10 and 7 y/o. I work as an HVAC mechanic for an oil company, right now I manage the service department. I love motorcycles, cars, movies, and, most importantly, music. My family is my #1 priority and they inspire me to be better, every day.

About two years ago I decided to do something I always wanted to do........learn to play the guitar. So I started with a Squier Strat-knockoff beginner package and got to work. I realized pretty quickly that I couldn't learn from a video, so I got "professional help", in the form of....lessons. At the time, I wasn't sure if I wanted to learn to play bass or guitar, but originally I chose guitar. I like playing the guitar, but always found myself drawn to bass lines in music, and whenever I had the chance to pick up a bass, I would. About 8 or 9 months ago I decided that the guitar was okay, but bass really got me excited. I borrowed a Peavey Zodiac 4 string from my father (it was just collecting dust...ha ha) and asked my guitar instructor if he could teach me the bass. He agreed, and it has been my main instrument for a while now.

I feel like I've made a lot of progress and I can actually play some music....:)

In any case, I'm certainly far from an expert, I'm really just starting out, so I probably will have a lot of questions, some may seem simple or basic to the members here, but there's a lot I don't know....

But I'm learning.

In any case, hello to everyone and I hope to get a lot of good information here!!!

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Welcome! Where in MA are you? I am in NH now but I grew up in MA. Fitchburg/Leominster area.

3. I live just outside Gardner now, grew up in Lancaster. My wife is from Leominster, our first house was in Fitchburg.

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    oh really? I just moved from Westminster

5. I live on the Hubbardston/Templeton line....

It's nice here, quiet. My guitar teacher is in Gardner, he works out of his house but used to be a teacher over at City Music. You probably would know him. I'll PM you his name, maybe you know him.

6. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Just wrote you back, but yeah I know Troy, Nick, Marc, Mark, Dan...all those guys. I moved up here in August and I miss them. I don't get a chance to swing by when I visit my parents.