Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hello from Portland

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, for some reason, I can't post new posts from my computer at home, so here I sit in the Business Center of some Hilton thingy in Portland, Oregon.

Anyway, I hijacked another thread to let you know that John DiMaggio sold Bass Alone to a guy named Val L'Heureux, a good man from sturdy stock in his own right. John now works at Taylor Guitars out in El Cajon (pronounced El Kabong).

It's rather pathetic that I have to travel a thousand miles just to post a new thread, but I can't figure it out, so I may be in Nashville the next time you see a new thread from me (that's in April). So in the meantime, just enjoy my terse yet pithy responses to your threads while I strive to maintain a respectable post count.

2. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    AHHA You're about 5 minutes from me.
    HAHA!!!

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow Munji...so close to me, yet so far. I wish I had time to drive to Portland and buy you a latte'. :D

-Mike

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Go to the Acropolis on 99 E.
    Best steaks in town...and cheap too!

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, I think I was in Beaverton. I went to watch the Sunset Apollos play some other team in basketball. Our Portland manager's son is one of their star players. I had breakfast at Elmer's this morning, but now I'm back home at Groom Lake. Isn't modern air travel amazing?

6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Whats portland like? I applied to a school up there and I have no plans to visit any time soon...

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's really earthy. :)

Portland is Seattle South. They try to be like Seattle, but they come up a little short.

-Mike

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

9. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Sux, usually. (I lived outside of Salem, OR for a couple of years a long time ago. Weather's the same there, too.)

~John

10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Ha!!! I taught at Sunset H.S. intermittently before I had to start taking care of my daughter full time due to her medical condition.

It was a pretty cool place to teach, BTW.

Portland is a pretty cool place, all in all. Not too big, but plenty going on. The weather pretty much sucks in the winter when it rains every freakin' day, but spring-fall is very nice. Skiing is not too far away, but the beaches are pretty cold. Definitely wetsuit if you want to surf in the Pacific or windsurf the Gorge.

11. YAY, i was born there!

(off topic: and that's where my girlfriend is being forced to live as well, but thats not related! ignore i ever said that!)

ok im done