Hello from SoCal

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by the_stonesteels, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie to the forum as well as the Bass Community itself. I'm a 27 yr old musician. But man I'm really excited to learn the Bass!!! As cliche and trivially monotonous as it sounds, Flea is my top bassist and he's been inspiring me with his music (of course) but also on a lot of his viewpoints, quotes on music as well. I also love Gary Grainger... I saw him on my John Blackwell DVD... He plays bass without effort and looks like he's just enjoying the moment. Honestly speaking, I've heard of Geddy Lee since I've been following Neil P for quite some time but i've never really paid attention to the bass work for rush (just being honest.) So, i'm gonna be checkin out his videos and who knows i might be blown away too! I've seen Jaco basses on MF but i've never really seen him play, although i know he's great. I'll go check him out as well.

Yesterday's been my first actual sit down practice and so far I've learned 5 songs... (and i'm sure most of the kids who grew up here in the 80s-90s had "With or Without You" on one of the first learned bass songs list hehe.

Drums will always be my first love. I've been playing for the past 15 or so years. But I've also been playing acoustic and electric guitar for quite some time as well. I also learned how to play the piano/keyboards when i was in grade school since my dad is a Jazz aficionado. I also recently bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus in desertburst along with my bass. i both love em!

GEAR: 1998 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass, GK 700rb, GK410RBH and soon planning to get a Tech 21 Sansamp Programmable DI

BUT, it's not til this past IRS refund that I finally decided to buy & learn the bass. and man, It's a BITTERSWEET feeling. It's exciting cause it's as if you're learning to ride your bike for the very first time. And having a background on guitars really helps but at the same time, it's a wee bit frustrating because it's a whole new instrument and i I know it WILL TAKE TIME to be good at it. Patience and practice will soon pay off though. I'm also planning to take Bass lessons to further expedite the learning process as well as to have bad habits corrected right away. But before i start taking Bass lessons, i'm gonna try to learn the most basic ABC's at least and start from there to save a bit on $$$. (I dont have a six figure salary hehe). Anyway, just a few question i have:

1. Any advices on a good Bass DVD for beginners? I've bought Larry Little's but any additional help is always good. I'm also looking at the Hal Leonard's.
    2. Is the Monster SP1000 speak-on cable COMPATIBLE with my GK 700rb + 410RBH Setup? I've read it on the manual to use the suppplied speakon cable but unfortunately i lost it.

By the way, here's a couple of pics i took... Her name is Rosalie. The LP's name is Stella. CHEERS! God bless.

2-3.jpg

1-2.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-3.jpg

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass!:cool: Hope you enjoy 'discovering' Geddy's and Jaco's playing. Two geniuses on the bass, IMHO! Geddy is probably my biggest influence, and Jaco is in my top five, for sure.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  4. Wow! a goldmine of useful info!!! That'll keep me busy all day tommorow in the office! haha. THANKS!

5. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Are you sure it's Gary Grainger? Cause I've seen that John Blackwell DVD and it's Baron Browne on bass...

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021