1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hello from sunny England!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by MandoRobbieJ, Aug 5, 2017.

1. MandoRobbieJ

MandoRobbieJ

Jul 25, 2017
    Thought I would just post a quick introduction, having recently signed up.

I’m Rob, and I am a band leader from the UK, running a mandolin orchestra near Bath in Wiltshire. I am also based in the lovely seaside town of Poole in Dorset. We pay a variety of arrangements of Celtic, Balkan, and pop arrangements for 7 mandolins of various sizes and ranges. I play mandolin, guitar and acoustic bass guitar.

My acoustic bass is a custom build by Brook guitars in Devon, UK. The shape is based on a Gibson J200, It has bear claw Engleman spruce top, bubinga back and sides and walnut neck. In the photos the tuners were Schaller De Vincis, but these never worked and broke within a couple of months. They now sport black Hipshot ultralights. It has a headway under saddle pickup. Strings are currently La Bella gold tape wounds (760N).

I play through a Phil Jones Briefcase. I had an AER Bas amp one very brief (about two weeks) but never got on with it, and sent it back. Couldn’t be happier with the briefcase.

When not playing in the band, I also arrange tunes for solo bass, mostly celtic tunes. I also play acoustic guitar in CGCGCD tuning and have a number of arrangements and original compositions published on youtube. My guitar is also a Brook.

My mandolin is a 10 string Old Wave, absolutely awesome tone!

36250336931_e1128c64f5_b.jpg March%202016%20Rob%20Bass1_zpsstt8nwbo by Robert Jessep, on Flickr

36250339091_c7979f580a_b.jpg March%202016%20Rob%20Bass%204_zpsjd3ltkca by Robert Jessep, on Flickr

36250338491_49e03a6f3f_b.jpg March%202016%20Rob%20Bass%202_zps5gusrmw6 by Robert Jessep, on Flickr

MCF likes this.
  2. MandoRobbieJ

MandoRobbieJ

Jul 25, 2017
    And here are a couple of videos to show what it sounds like

3. Welcome to the forum, and do chime in, your comments will be welcomed.

4. bnali

bnali

Jun 3, 2017
    very nice tone indeed. welcome and thanks for the most enjoyable vids.