1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hello from the California desert

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Inkdork, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Inkdork

Inkdork

Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    Hi all. I just did a Google search and found this forum. After weeks of eyeballing a bass I saw online, I went and picked it up last night, ignoring the cries of my already empty wallet.

It's a Peavey Grind 4 string and I pretty much fell in love with it at first sight. So gorgeous! My first bass, but not my first instrument. I have soprano, concert, tenor, and baritone ukes, a banjolele, a violin, a djembe, a parlor guitar, a mountain dulcimer, and a native American flute.

My bf has several electric guitars and basses, and said I can use his old bass amp. I'm just waiting on getting a cable and a strap, which should arrive Wednesday.

I'm super excited to learn to play, even if I'm never terribly good. So far I have no musical genius, but I enjoy my instruments and have fun trying. :)

Bassist4Eris and old spice like this.
  2. As you already know, music is music, you just have to learn where the notes are on this instrument.

Your bassist friend can get you started. I found the following link helpful. It touches on where the notes are on our fretboard. How to get started? Post # 14

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  3. Inkdork

Inkdork

Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    Um... The link? ;)

I'll definitely see if Kim wants to help me out.

4. We both are on here at the same time. I always save my information so its there when I come back. Here is the link. How to get started? Post # 14

BTW welcome to the bottom end.

5. Inkdork

Inkdork

Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    I'll read that now, thanks. :)

6. From any root where is the root's ...
    2 is same string over two frets. Always.
    3 is up a string and back a fret. Again always.
    4 is up a string same fret. Yep, always...
    5 is up a string and over two frets or down a string same fret.
    6 is up two strings and back one fret. Right over the 3.
    7 is up two strings and over one fret. The b7 is over the 4.
    8 is up two strings and over two frets.
    And of course flats are one fret back toward the nut and sharps are one fret toward the bridge.
    Want this same root going toward the bridge - go down a string and over 6 frets.
    Want this same root going back toward the nut - go up a string and back 6 frets. 5 or 6 which ever way you count frets.

Yes as we are using notes of the chord 95% of the time in our accompaniment playing most of us see A, B, C and think in 1, 2, 3 aka scale degrees.

If you are going to be playing by rote from standard notation what I've given you is not going to be much help. But, if you are composing bass lines on the fly, it will have value.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  7. Inkdork

Inkdork

Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    I'm going to have to read this (and the linked thread and videos) when I'm more focused. I'm sure when it clicks, it'll all make perfect sense but right now... Not so much.

8. Understand. What I gave you is big picture stuff.

Have fun.

Inkdork likes this.