1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hello from the City of Rain (aka Seattle)

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by theduker, Apr 9, 2006.

1. theduker

theduker

Nov 17, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Hi all!

I was on TalkBass once again tonight checking out discussions and lessons and decided to donate money for a pay membership, when I noticed the following line at the top of the page:
    So I figured I'd say Hi!

TalkBass is Great! I found out about this website about 6 months ago from a member who I bought a rack case from off of craigslist.com. So about me….

I started life out a drummer at 12, eventually playing in a Blues band in and around Baltimore for about 2 years. While in high school I was going to start learning bass, but both the guitarist and bass playing in my band told me to learn guitar, because I could play both (we won’t go into how that was wrong). So I started to play guitar, eventually switching completely to that and playing out in a few bands. Then I finally picked up the bass as well, but right as that started to get really fun I took a fall while rock climbing and ended up getting a few of follow up surgeries to fix my arm. Well that was a long time ago…

So now I am getting back into playing, this time as exclusively as a bass player. I keep telling people bass is the perfect mix of drums and guitar. Almost like I evolved out the other two. I'm both rhythmic AND melodic. :)

I am a huge Victor Wooten fan. Not just from his playing, but his overall philosophy, study of the Martial Arts, etc. His solo group is absolutely amazing live. Imagine seeing 4 bass players on the stage all about the groove and ripping it up. If you’re a bass player, whether you like Victor’s playing style or not, you really need to see them live. Amazing over the top musicians that are into Funk & Soul. What an experience!

At the beginning of 2005 I had just a fretless Yamaha that I have had a long time. I’ve been playing a ton in the last year and a half. Now I have a few more basses and pretty much just play my Tobias Fretless 5-String. I love that bass. So much I just recently purchased it’s Fretted 5-String twin.

I’ve just been playing with a few people around town I’ve met and now looking to start playing in an actual band again. I’m eager to learn more and have made good use of the lessons and other information that I have gotten off of TalkBass.

Wow, sorry for the long post, I just figured I’d intro myself and say how much I like\use the website. I don’t post often because I don’t have much to add like the great players that frequent this website. But I am here\hear…. Watching… Listening… :oops: