Hello from the Midwest

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by stringsthings, Jul 22, 2018.

1. stringsthings

stringsthings

Jul 22, 2018
    WL, Indiana
    New member here: I've seen several posts from random searches and enjoyed what I read. Figured it was time to join a good bass forum.

I also play "regular" guitar, but I'm very comfortable playing 4-string, electric bass in most any band situation, unless it involves a lot of sight-reading. Those chops have slipped away.

In my first garage band, the other guitar player and I would compete to play the bass when our bass player wasn't there. We both enjoyed subbing on bass. My first, real paying job was on bass. ( see profile for more info )

Currently, I own one bass. And it's a keeper. G&L L2000 bought gently used in 1982 with hard-shell case. Serial number B008675. No significant modifications. Sounds very good live and even better recorded. Usually direct thru a compressor. I could ramble on and on.

Looking forward to spending time on the forum and learning more about bass.
    Biggest influence: Sir Paul McCartney
    other influences: Randy Meisner, Sting
    currently listening to: Scott LaFaro's stuff, Live at the Village Vanguard.
    Want to learn: slap and pop styles
    Long term goal: learn fretless

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Welcome! And don’t worry about having just one bass - hang around here a while and that’s likely to change ;).

PS - I have an ‘80 L1000 and it was my working bass for many years. If I only had one, it would do just fine!

3. stringsthings

stringsthings

Jul 22, 2018
    WL, Indiana
    Thanks! '80 L1000! That's older than mine! I've never seen an older G&L bass than mine. Yours was made during the first year? As for a 2nd bass, you're absolutely right. I'm already planning on making my #2 from a kit.

4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Cool! Yes, I bought my L1K in March of ‘81 in Chicago. It was among the first 500 G&L basses made. It’s only improved with age! There are very good luthier forums here for those planning builds. Enjoy!

5. stringsthings

stringsthings

Jul 22, 2018
    WL, Indiana
    That's great! I actually bought my L2000 in Burlington, Vermont!
    I don't know if the store is still there.

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Interesting! I'm not sure who ever sold those here - it's why I purchased in Chicago. There were more music stores in Burlington back then, notably Boyd's and Darryl's for electric instruments. I never saw one in a store here until the '90's.