Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'Hello, Goodbye' (How do I play this measure?)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Feb 12, 2002.

1. If any of you have the bass musical notation for 'Hello, Goodbye' by The Beatles please Help! I will type it out for you for those who don't. I'm a way beginner at bass and this is like the first song I'm trying to learn out of the Beatles bass book I bought.

Okay, it's the seventh measure. Here's the tab:

March:

///1//&/////2/////&//////3//&//4//&
    G-----------------------------------
    D-----------------------------------
    A----5-2--5-2--5-2--------2--5-----
    E-3--------------------3--5-----------

These are eighth notes 1&2&3&4&. Those "5-2's" confuse me. I've seen that before and didn't understand what it meant. How can I play two notes and still have it be eighth notes?

2. Looks like a typo in the tab. It should read like this:

G---------------
    D---------------
    A--5 2 5--- 2 5-
    E-3----- 3 5----

All the notes are straight eighths.

3. Nope...That's how it is in the music notation. It's almost as if you were strumming the two notes at the same time...but that is impossible. Thanks for trying to help, though. Doesn't look like too many people visit this section....

4. What book?

I have "The complete Beatles"

7th measure. I have 1/8th notes straight.

G,D,B,D
    G,A,B,D

that would make 4.

5. Okay, I have The Beatles Complete Scores too. I just took a look in there and yeah like you said that's what it says. I really don't see how this bass book made a typo, that's gotta mean something, I just don't know what. But I will play that measure the way it says in the SCORES book for now until my lesson on Friday.

The Beatles SCORES book has the previous measure wrong. There is a half quarter rest after the "A" note and then the next note, the "C" is played on the "E" string at the 8th fret, not the "A" string at the 3rd fret according to the orange book. I don't know which is correct, but I know the orange Recorded Versions Beatles Bass Book is right on with the half quarter rest.

Yada yada. Basically, what I'm saying is that I trust my orange Beatles Bass book over the Scores book. I've found so many errors in that book. It's great and all as a resource, but you really can't rely on it totally.

6. Yea a lot of books are like that, seem to be a merged keyboad/melody part sometimes.

Best to use the book and the ears.

Good Luck

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've mentioned this before in threads, but most songbooks are just suggested piano/guitar parts based on the chord sequence and melody. They are not literal transcriptions of what was played. The idea is that you can sit down at the piano and sing the song with (possibly simplified)piano accompaniment.

99% of the time you will not get a transcription of a bassline unless it is a riff that is integral to the song.

Tabs are invariably wrong and designed for guitarists :mad: which is why as bass players we hate them! ;)

8. The tab I posted was from The Beatles Complete Scores and, although there are a few mistakes in that book, this particular part isn't one of them.

I have no problem with tab as long as you use it as a reference only. Once you go beyond that it becomes counterproductive. What you need to do is look at the standard notation of each book to see if they match up. If they do, you need to use that as the starting point. Also, if you reference the song itself you can hear that the tab is correct in Complete Scores...at least for that measure.;)

9. Bassin:

That measure IS wrong in the white book. Like I said, there is a half quarter rest if you listen to the song. The orange book isn't just melody/chords...it is the actual recorded version. It is a BASS book..not a chord book. I know how to read music.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well this argument seems to be going round and round, but I don't know why you can't just accept that there are mistakes in these books?

I looked on www.sheetmusicplus and several customer reviews of the Beatles Scores book mention mistakes, although they still liked the book!

11. just learn the parts by ear. it may be harder but you will get from it than having it spoon fed from a book.

12. You've lost me there...what's a half quarter rest??

You may be thinking of measure six that starts with a quarter not rather than the basic eighth note feel he's got going but there is no rest in measure seven. It's all straight eighth notes for the whole measure...just like they have it tabbed in the white book.