1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hello, I NEED your help, badly!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by The Risky, Sep 5, 2018.

1. The Risky

The Risky

Jul 9, 2013
    Hi everyone, im an old user who found his way into the forum once again.

So i've been playing since 2010, for the past 6 years i only used my fingers and didn't even bother to look towards a pick. After starting my own band (Full EP to listen below wink wink ), i switched to a pick, only to realise that the sound i've searched for some time, was right infront of me the whole time!

So, now i have been playing with a pick, two years, i've learned how to hold a pick and how to play with it, i haven't made significant progress, but its more enough get the job done. I've come to the realisation that i need some sort of Guidance, badly, something to whip my pick playing in shape.

If anyone has any instructions, advice and/or directions on how to properly start training plectrum technique and fretting hand technique, than everything is more than welcome, any advice related to "How to properly keep a training log / diary" is also recommended.
    I don't want to go to antoher show or a recording session, only to walk out, and saying to myself "What the hell man, you sound like a galloping three legged animal".

To get any idea on how i currently sound, please listen to snipets of the EP, let me start by saying, my pedalboard is exactly like Royal Bloods, so even the guitars you hear here is played by me on a Bass trough a pitch shifter -

I am more than desparate, Please!!!

Thank you!

2. IMO main thing with a pick is to sound the string you are supposed to. To get that down I recommend running your scales up and down the neck. G major scale at the 3rd fret. A at the 5th, C at the 8, etc....

When you can sound the correct note and not get your pick stuck between strings, that's step one.

I suggest a thicker pick -- 1.0mm to 3.0mm.

Have fun.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you haven't already, I would post your question in the Technique forum.

4. Just quickly (I take the mod's point), I enjoyed listening to your EP (only a bit >half, very late here). I have played plectrum almost exclusively. One thing that bothers me is that they feel slippy and hurt the thumb much more than on guitar. Also, although breeze-block thick plectra are often recommended, I don't use them much myself and I noticed song 2 called for alternate picking. You might want to try Jim Dunlop nylons (i use as thin as .73) for some situations; nice and grippy, too.