1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hello - Metal string basses?

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Thom Golub, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Thom Golub

Thom Golub

Mar 26, 2006
    Hey everyone,

My name's Thom and I'm from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I'm a proffesional bass player. My main instrument is the double bass though I double on electric bass too.

Has anyone heard of the sheet metal string basses the Canadian (American too?) forces used during WW2? I'm really interested in tracking one or two down. One as a playing instrument and one for a project an associate and I are in the planning stages of. I saw one in for repair in Edmonton about a year ago at a music shop here - so I know they exist - and the only wood on them is the fingerbaord!

If anyone has any info on these interesting instruments - from history of to selling - I'd sure appriciate it.

All best,

Thom

2. There have been few threads on this subject. Search under "Aluminum." I seem to remember someone posting pics of an aluminum bass made by the Ford Motor Company!

3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward