Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hello mike

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by artitrol, Jan 17, 2005.

1. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    i am a boy from china played bassguitar about 4 years, u are my worship and adore. do u know u're the most popular bassist in china? ah, i very glad and agitated to contact u...
    i know u had learned with the great, one and only jaco pastorius, could u tell me something when u lived together? thanx very much:)

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
  3. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    thanx very much,
    my favorite mr. manring's song is "sugar", could u tell me some about it? inspiration? or something important of how play it? is the violin u playin' in the track?
    and here's another question about zon, i want to buy a bassguitar features some modern tone, i like zon sonus4 or ken smith bsr4j, now there're some ken smith basses in the shop our place but no zon...if i choose sonus4 i must order one...so if u can give me some suggest i will fell grateful

i had translate a interview of u
    here's the link:
    http://www.guitarchina.com/news/bg/bg05/c_20040103/old_233802.htm

and could u tell me something about ur fist bassguitar,the univox/fender?

4. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks for translating the interview! I’ll have to work on my Mandarin…

The tune “Sugar” was written by saxophonist Stanley Turrentine. It’s a lesser-known jazz standard and it was the title track of the first jazz record I ever bought. I’ve always loved its soulful chord changes and after playing it with a few groups I realized it might be a nice tune to do solo. The way I play it is mostly improvised and I have fun seeing what different places I can take it. To play it I use a combination of slap, tap, pizzicato, strumming and whatever else happens!

The Univox/Fender bass I had was not my first bass, but my it was first fretless. I bought the Univox around 1975 for about $50 and put a fretless Fender neck on it a year or two later. Because of the Fender neck it looked like a real P-bass, but it wasn’t all that great an instrument.

Joe Zon is doing beautiful work these days and I’m sure whatever you order will be great, but I do have a special fondness for the Sonus Special.

5. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    thank u my idol!!
    could u say some about the amps and effects that u always use? and some musician who u like?
    dou u like cartoon books or films??

6. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm a long-time SWR amp guy. At home I have a Baby Blue cab and a Son of Bertha cab that I power with a Stereo 800. I can't take this rig on the road very often though, as I usually travel by air.

I have a lot of different effects units that I like, but the one that gets the most use these days is my Boss VF1.

There are many, many musicians I enjoy listening to. In fact we just chatted a bit about that in the thread "My Manring Christmas and now loads of questions." Please have a look there. I will mention though, that my most recent fave is pianist Sergei Babayan.

I'm sorry to say that, in spite of being nicknamed after a comic book character (Manthing), I'm not really too up on the comic book world.

7. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    thanx very much`~~~ i love mike~~~
    by the way, i love baby baby blue too, it is so lovable...