Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hello mike!

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by 74rickbass, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Hey!
    I just wanted to say hi....I never really talked to someone famous before....
    Well, anyway...I wanted know, what your favorite
    CCR song is. I heard you were a fan. My fav is Born to move because of the funky bass line.

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I love creedence big time. a huge band for me and d. boon. the reason I wear flannels. my favorite tune is "up around the bend" cuz of the feel and those "ye-ahs" at the end. I love the words too:

there's a place up ahead and i'm goin' just as fast as my feet can fly
    come away, come away if you're goin', leave the sinkin' ship behind.

come on the risin' wind, we're goin' up around the bend.

ooh!
    bring a song and a smile for the banjo, better get while the gettin's good,
    hitch a ride to the end of the highway where the neons turn to wood.

oooh!
    you can ponder perpetual motion, fix your mind on a crystal day,
    always time for a good conversation, there's an ear for what you say.

yeah!

oooh!
    catch a ride to the end of the highway and we'll meet by the big red tree,
    there's a place up ahead and i'm goin', come along, come along with me.

yeah!
    do do doo do...

there's some pumpin' eigth notes w/the bass. funny, when I was a kid, it was hard for me to hear the bass on creedence songs. loved john fogerty's singing and guitar though. good drums too (thanks doug clifford). so did d. boon.

your choice is happening too.

on bass, watt

3. pgoat

pgoat

Sep 5, 2002
    Mike - don't know if you would be interested but I have some Stu Cook articles which appeared in Guitar Player way back when.

I could send/fax em to ya if you like.

Always love reading about bassists' rigs back in those dark days. What were the choices really? Acoustic or SVT, no?

He talks a lot about practicing a lot, and CCR too.

It's in a reprint book - don't know if you have these already or even are interested. Glen Cornick is in there too. No Larry Graham....

4. watt

hi,

I think stu cook used kustom amps (those padded ones). one ccr record cover has him w/a rick that's been fitted w/a p-bass pickup.

you can send that to:

mike watt's hoot line
    p.o. box 1821
    san pedro, ca
    90733 usa

thank you in advance!

on bass, watt

5. pgoat

pgoat

Sep 5, 2002
    Mike It's my pleasure - It'll go out in the mail Monday

My buddy & I saw a candy apple Red sparkle kustom knock off at a local GTR Center. they wanted like $300 for each piece (head and 2x15 cab) I wanted the cab to use as a hall table. very chi-chi lounge! But it was gone in two days. The head is still there being used as a door stop some months later........looks like the old banana seats on a stingray!:D

6. HUH?
    I thought it was a P-bass with a rick pickup?
    Although he did use a rick for the first records he switched to a p bass for the rest.

As you see in the picture he has a rick pickup in the front, a p in the middle and another p in the bridge.

Oh and it was a kustom head and four sunn 2-15
    cabs.

7. pgoat

pgoat

Sep 5, 2002
    yeah, I believe that is the rig Stu describes in the old articles. He was using P-basses by that point also.

8. watt

hi,

you can see the rick on the cover of the "bayou country" album, look here:

http://www.e-profession.com/records/ccr_bayou_country.jpg

on bass, watt

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't have anything really important to say, but thanks mike for taking time out from your schedule to talk to your fans. Not saying all rock stars are like this, but there are a lot of pompus rock stars who wouldn't even bother replying to fans. But you find less and less of these folks in the punk genre of music. That's what I love about punk, is it's more about the people and real life. Rock on man, and thanks for being a talkbasser. :D

10. watt

hi,

thank you very much. it's a pleasure to share thoughts w/the bass cats out there. it's very happening of paul @ talkbass.com to have me aboard.

by the way, I'm not much of a "rock star" though. I'm more of what you'd call a punk rocker on bass.

on bass, watt

11. I'd hate to get in a fight with mike watt but...

What does that picture prove?:mad: :mad: :mad:
    All I see is a rick.

I'm right and I know it!:) :D

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Awww man, I thought you were a rock star. ;) But that's my favorite thing about punk rockers... especially punk rockers on bass. They are very down to earth cool cats.

13. watt

hey,

much respect for the kind words. it's much appreciated.

on bass, watt