Hello, my name is Mike, the unluckiest guy at Talkbass

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Big Mike Ipp, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Hey, some of Y'all might remember me as the guy with the crazy ex who put my bass gear in the rain a while back. Anyway, heres my story:

So, 2 weeks ago, I saved up enough cash to buy a light 4X10 that would be easier to gig around with, but the second I put a poll up on Talkbass, my B-2RE head dies on me. So I talked to my ex, she said that 6 months later doesnt count, so I had to deal with her, so I figured I'm out 100+ dollars and there goes my new cab for now. Thankfully, ampeg honored their 5 year deal and fixed it like new, no money out of pocket. So crisis avoided right?

Then the Ashdown I was lookin at got lowered to an unbelievable price, and I figure, things are lookin up right?

I decided to go offroading with this girl I've been seein for a little today, tryin to show off, and was flooring it thru some mudpits and water holes and whatnot, havin a pretty good day. Then, out of nowhere, I judged some water wrong, and ended up flooding most of my truck (the front seats and electronics were fine, the back seats/speakers, not so much). So I call my friends, they come out to bail me out, and we hook up the tow rope to my trailor hitch and they had to pull out the rear end of the truck. Well, what we failed to realize is the backend of the truck, aka the bumper, which we didn't dig the mud off of, was still held down by said mud, so when they ganked me out, the bumper stayed and got torn off and I ran it over on the way out...

So now, I'm stuck with 500+ in damages and no hope of a new 4X10 anytime soon!:crying:

P.S. I'm sure theres unluckier people out there, but I just had to rant a little...

2. Sounds more like neglect than bad luck to me.

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    [​IMG]

4. oldscarrow

oldscarrow

Nov 22, 2008
    Australia
    Mike,........that's not bad luck mate, down here in OZ, we'd call that stupidity....and that is the polite version. But I do feel for ya. !

5. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Serves you right. :rolleyes: I hate when people tear up the country-side while out 4-wheeling. It takes forever for the vegitation to grow back after some numbnuts decides to go off-road.

6. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    by these last few responses (and the more to come), looks like you just got unluckier :)

7. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I love a good two-track and open country. Hurray for the countryside. But when I'm in my one and only car (Subaru) I definitely take it easy. With my brother's wrangler we go wild, but he's got something else if we break it.

On the bright side, that's not your truck under the tree. :)

I suggest finding learning to fix it yourself. It's not that hard. Really. Just takes time, a book, hopefully a friend with some auto knowledge, and figuring out where to get parts for the best price.

8. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    This is the point where I was certain that this story had nothing at all to do with luck.

9. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    ....uh.....did you ever get anywhere with the girl? or are you unlucky there too....

10. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    I'm curious as well. Was she worth the car damage?

11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    It's like one of those movies where the main character has horrid luck for the majority of the film but then at the end, his luck finally turns and he's the happiest man in the world.

Now just substitute the happy protagonist with Mike. And then make it a really depressing and awful movie.

12. Hahahaha some mean responces, btw, its truck trails my man complaining about destroying the vegitation, my donation to the park service to get into the park more than helps support the conservation of wildlife. But yeahhhhhhh bad move on my part, I was just hopin to get a few funny responces, but eh, I deserve it. Just a little advice to some of the angrier posters, lighten up, I'm certainly not the brightest crayon in the box by what you can read, but I'm enjoyin life, so when you take time out of your stressful day to read about some numbnuts rantings, sit back, chuckle, and don't take at anything other than that. Relax...Its me that should be saying harsh things, not y'all, but you are entitled to your own opinions.

P.S. Its not like I didn't get anything I didn't get already...but eh, most of us started playin bass for the same reason I took her off roading...

P.S.S. I'm not into Flamming so I'm leaving my words at that, I'll joke around, but anything that leads to arguments I'm not interested in talking about.

13. BTW Hilarious:D

14. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    There's nothing wrong with off roading. There is absolutely something wrong with tearing up the country side and abusing our right to use it. Staying on the said trails and having fun isnt be a crime.

Back to your regularly scheduled flame war

15. Eh, thats exactly what I don't want...:atoz:

16. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry

63917cartman_on_hippiesJPG.jpg

:bawl:

:D

17. No mean rants from me, but I will add to the light-hearted end of things... :D lol

P.S. Yes, that IS a FERRARI under that truck. :bawl:

5sg.

FerrariFail.jpg

18. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    .....so, what happened with the girl you were trying to impress?

Actually, I didn't want to hurt your feelings but I did have a visual of some big hick driving a monster truck during a rainstorm, doing donuts in the mud, listening to Primus 'My Name Is Mud', drinking Bud Lite, belching and farting, and crushing the cans against his head while shooting his .45 out the broken window screaming 'YEE HA!!!' in an attempt to impress some Daisy Duke lookin chick. All the while forgetting that his bass amp was in the truck bed bouncing around getting smashed to bits.

But then again, I'm sitting in the middle of Las Vegas on a Saturday nite with no chick, no truck, no gun, no beer, it IS raining & I farted a few minutes ago.

19. Taking a truck offroading should be done SLOWLY. Big knobby underinflated tires work great through the mud and over rocks - but take it step by step - NEVER blindly running through the woods! I'd say you are LUCKY actually! Here's why:

When water logged Ampeg amp "died" on you, it didn't short out and through the instrument cable zapping the living bejebus out of you. You're alive after working with potentially faulty gear (plugging in electronics left out in the rain?!) - lucky.

You ran wild through the woods in your truck - luckily you didn't lose control, launch it, flip it. Sounds like you probably don't have a proper roll cage in that thing too. You offroaded in a truck not prepared for it, blindly fast on an unknown trail - and you only lost a bumper?! Lucky!

20. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses

[/thread]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021