1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hello, new to talkbass and have a question!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danmyung5535544, Aug 2, 2012.

1. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

Aug 2, 2012
    Hello talkbass.com, ive been following this forum for a while now and got into serious bass playing 3 months ago. I started with a yamaha fretless (rbx250?) and love it, but i am looking to upgrade to a 5 string with major budget constraints. I hear something about a "floppy b string if you get a 34 inch scale?"
    here are my choices narrowed down, im looking for a dream theater sound mostly from the train of though album.
    i heard that peavey 5 strings are the best under 1000 dollars but iam skeptical. Thanks for your time, i really wanna make the right choice here.:bassist:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVMILBXP5
    Peavey Millennium Bass 5 Quilt Top BXP

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCERAIDLX5
    Schecter Raiden Deluxe-5

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMRBX375
    Yamaha RBX375

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVMILACBXP5
    Peavey Millennium AC BXP

2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    If a '70s J-bass sound is of interest, you might pick up a used Carvin SB5000.

I got one in cherry condition for $800. The build quality is as good as my boutique basses. No kidding!

3. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    If you're in the sub $1000 you could find some nice 5 strings in the used section here in the classifieds on TB. I think that Music Man 5ers have a great B string. I would look at a used SR5 or Bongo 5. If you need new look at a Sterling by Music Manin the $600+ range.

4. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

Aug 2, 2012
    i should of specified that i got a 200$ giftcard and am taking 150ish or so dollars out of a special fund. I really am on a tight budget, i got the yamaha fretless on craigs list for 200 with my anniversary bonus at work

5. Nick Dilley

Nick Dilley

Mar 25, 2012

+1

floppy b string could happen on anything that wasn't setup right. Conversely, if you have a decent setup on your inexpensive bass (or the scale you mentioned), then you should be fine.

6. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    +1--check the basses for sale here.

I've owned a couple MTD Kingstons, and this looks like a pretty good deal.

If you want fret markers on the fingerboard, no prob! Just get some fretboard stickers from that guy on eBay.

7. svt1233

svt1233 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    check out the squier vintage modifieds, I think there is a 5 string on in the classifieds right now for $250

8. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

Aug 2, 2012
    there is this ibanez 6 string for 250. Am i sacrificing ALOT here for that price?

9. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

Aug 2, 2012
    any suggestions on the ones i linked? i got a zzsounds giftcard

10. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Of the ones listed I like the Yamaha. Peavey basses don;t do it for me. Tottally different than 10 years ago (my first bass was a peavey). The cheap-o Schecters aren't anything to write home about either. Bang-for-your-buck it's the Yamaha (usually is actually from motorcycles to mixing boards)

11. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

Aug 2, 2012
    so thats 1 for the yamaha.

12. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I don't know if this directly applies, but I bit the bullet on an RBX374 and it's one heck of a bass. QC on mine was superb and I've been playing with it for 2 years now and it sounds and plays perfectly.

13. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    The Schecter seems to be the only 35 inch scale, so that might help your B-String worries. I've never played any of these basses so I can't tell you which one is best for you, but the Schecter seems to eliminate the flabby b string.

14. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    If you like your Yamaha, their 5 strings are pretty nice IMO.

15. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

Aug 2, 2012
    i think im gonna roll with the yamaha, all the basses ive tried from them are amazing so i think the 5 string will be great!
    Thanks for the low b floppy answers

16. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Just remember the Yamaha is 34" scale. I've played other models of Yamaha 5ers,and the B was kind of weak. You need to go with what you like.

17. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Do you know what string spacing you prefer?

19mm is the traditional Fender spacing, but some 5-ers have narrower spacing. Might be worth taking some time to play some instruments in your local GC or pawnshop, y'know? Find out what's more comfortable.

FWIW, scale length (34 or 35) ain't a terribly big deal to me. I can get used to either, with a little woodshed time. String spacing, OTOH, makes a huge difference to my right hand technique.

18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I suggest you test all of these if possible then make your choice. You can't go by marketing literature--they're all trying to sell you their stuff. I hear good things about the squier 5-strings. You may want to take a look at those too.
    I agree most with what others said: check the tb classifieds.

19. Are you looking for another fretless or a fretted bass. From the links that you posted, it seems that you're going fretted this time...