Hello thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by artistanbul, Apr 18, 2003.

1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Hello people. I am a 24 guy who is very tempted to play bass after this age and who knows jack about it. And I don't know If I am doing the right thing. But the good part is I dont care either.

When I was looking everywhere for info, searching the whole net I came up with two places, harmony central and talkbass. both very useful. But I really fell in love with this forum and felt that I had to be a member and say thanks.

By the way after reading everything here I decided buying a 4string quilted essex standard jazz copy. Friends around say that I should buy active but I don't know. I hope that I'm making the right thing but the standards are the best start I suppose.

thanks again.
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Art -

Welcome to TB, always good to have another lowlife about ;)

Having played one of those Essex J's (yo Jon!), I can tell ya, they're pretty nice, especially for the money! You can't go wrong with that bass, and I think the "K.I.S.S." (Keep It Simple, Stupid) method is best, especially for a first instrument: you did the right thing staying with a passive bass to start out with.

Anything we can help ya out with, just ask!
  3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Hey, welcome to TalkBass.

As far as which bass to buy, whether it should be active or passive. Let your ears decide. Up until about a month ago I almost exclusively played passive basses, a Rickenbacker and a Fender.

Like Gard said, keep it simple ... and have fun!!
  4. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hiya, Welcome aboard talkbass!
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey artistanbul

welcome to talkbass. :) we have a few folks from turkey participating here, andy daventry is one who's been a very valuable member of our forum.

an essex jazz bass would be a fine starting bass - shoot, those basses are pretty nice starting or not.
  6. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Thank you everybody. This is really a great forum in case you got used to it and forgot how good it is. :)
  7. Hallo, hallo, welcome welcome, to, Le Dungeon!!

Oh, wait, wrong movie.

Glad to have you here. Love the pun screen name.

Rock on