Hello to all. First post.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Hello! My first post on here. A little about me. I've been playing the bass for a little more than a decade. Basically, I play for a worship team at a church, but every now and then I get to play for other thigns, such as tonight when I play for a banquet. Two hours of jazz, filling in for a guy that usually plays for this group. It's going to be fun. :meh: I'll make the most of it. Talk about improv night! :eek:

Anyway, I guess my greatest 'bass' moment was when I created a 'from scratch' 5 string fretless bass. The link to the site is:

My regular bass is a Peavey Accelorator. Purple body with a pearloid pickguard. Only bought it because I was needing my own bass a long time ago, didn't have a lot of money, and the Peavey was on sale for half off. Anyway, I was planning on making a new body for the Peavey, so I bought a piece of Birdseye Maple and started to work on it. My brother said that he liked the way the Peavey looked and suggested I make a whole new bass. Well, it's a long story from that point on [two years of off and on work]. Anyway, after completion, I took the new fretless bass to a music shop to have the electronics hooked up, and afterwards the guy said that it was better looking and sounding then some of the basses he had on the wall. A real compliment.

Well, enough about that. I'm glad I found this forum. :hyper:
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hi Dave

Welcome to TalkBass!!!!
  3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Welcome to TB! Nice bass you got [​IMG]
  4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Welcome to TB Dave! Looks like your bass turned out nice. I also play primarily at church and enjoy putting together Warmoth basses and guitars (currently on my 6th Warmoth bass). I think that you'll find a wealth of knowledge here on TB. If someone here doesn't know the answer they can certainly find it! :D
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Beautiful bass, man. And welcome.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hi dave, welcome to talkbass. we generally have these kinds of posts in the misc forum - we try to keep the bass forum for bass-specific discussion.

i'll move this over to miscellaneous for you. welcome again :)
  7. your geocities site just got slammed by a multitude of bass players, leaving some of us out in the cold.

welcome to the wonderful world of yapping about our shared obsession.
  8. Thank you all for the warm welcome. I hope to receive and contribute valuable information to this site.

My next project that I am going to work on involves what I call, "Extreme Makeover, Bass Addition". In other words, I plan on taking my current Peavey and turning it into something more appealing. In it's current state, it has a metallic purple finish with a pearloid pickguard. I plan on getting rid of the pickguard [which I'll probably just sell to whomever would want to upgrade their Peavey Accellerator] the paint will be stripped off and I am going to bookmatch an 1/8th inch top for it. I'll have to cut out a channel in the back to get to the electronics since the top will be glued firmly in place leaving no other way to get to the pots. The body will see a little shaving in order for the bass to have a more 'petite' size body, though only about a 1/4th of an inch will be removed. The horns will be slightly modified as well. The piece of wood that will be on the top will be Desert Eucalyptus. Very pretty! Until it is done, I'll be playing the fretless as I only have two bass guitars. When it is finished, I'll leave some before and after pictures on my webpage. :)