Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hello

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Mike Chagolla, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Hi all. I just wanted to post a message to introduce myself. I have visited this board a few times and decided that I should get in. I can't wait to see what kind of things Ed comes up with for my last name. I have only been part of the "Darkside" for about a year now. I fell in love right away. I could not believe that I had not picked up the Double Bass earlier. I feel that my lines are so much more vocal now.

I have enjoyed some of the conversation on this board and look forward to being part of your world. After seing some of your Basses, I realize that I need to invest in something special soon.

2. Glad to have you...this site is really cool.I've made alot of new friends here.I get so much information from everyone,the hard part is trying to remember it all.Welcome to the family.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Chagolla? Man, you're not kidding....now you've got me curious, too. Ed? Ohhhhh, Ehhhhhhd?.....we're WAITING!

P.S. - welcome aboard! (I already said that in another thread, but...)

4. JEDI Fuqua

Respect this, I must. Patience I have in me. Wait for you we will.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Mike - it looks like Ed has a bit 'o the old performance anxiety. Damn, the suspense is killing me! Maybe if you start being really obnoxious right away, that might trigger something, or...or....wait, I've got it! How about starting a thread on the merits of teaching yourself to play DB without a teacher? Yeah, that ought to do the trick...

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Ed Fuqua lost for words! THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING.

Better not go poking at Ed, Mike. If someone makes him have a heartastroke it's not gonna be on my hands. Just keep the conversation light. Ask neutral things like "what kind of rosin do you use".:)

PuKeR2

[Edited by pkr2 on 01-24-2001 at 10:14 PM]

7. I spent some time yesterday going over the coveted rosin thread. Quite amusing I must say.

I would not poke at Ed. I tend to only poke at ignorance until I get to know someone. And then I only dish out what I would be willing to get back. Looks like the poking here is done in good taste.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Absolutely, Mike. Ed can dish it out but he can sure take it too.

Sometimes you have to wrestle around with someone to appreciate them. Ed and I have wrestled and I do appreciate him but damned if I want to wrestle him any more. It's like trying to pry a bulldog off your a**. :) :)

I'm not too sure about the good taste but you are right, it's sure done with good humor.

Packerwho?

[Edited by pkr2 on 01-25-2001 at 02:39 PM]

9. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I have wrestled Ed, and I can also say he is a formidable opponent. May as well issue a preemptive 'uncle' and be done with it....

10. There shall be no "UNCLE" given. You must learn from everything you do including mistakes. From what I have seen Ed does not tollerate ignorance and rightfully so. If I make an ignorant comment I should be informed of such. My intention is to not give you the ammo to do so Ed. Yes I would much rather be practicing.

11. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey man jes kiddin. Of course Ed has valuable knowledge, that's why he's so fun to wrassle with. But sometimes you gotta say uncle. But don't take it from me, you make your own choice.

12. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I can't either. In fact, all of my interactions on this board have been curiously parallel to my experiences playing the bass. I have realized there are two aspects - the thought and the physical translation of the thought. The only thing that makes the thought and the physical interact and exercise and grow, is DIALOGUE (constructive wrestling between the mind/heart on one side and the body on the other). Another semantic argument would be whether these physical limitations account for the unique charatacter of our musical or literary voice or whether transcending them does, but I think just their sheer interplay is good enough for me. One thing I was really called on early on by Ed was that yeah, maybe I meant X, but I said x. Or something...ya know, I was being unclear. Does this make sense? Schnikes, maybe I haven't learned a thing!

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Uhmmm, what? Huh? So, if I get your drift, wrestling with Ed is like playing the bass because sometimes ya just gotta say uncle... Right? (If so, I can relate, especially on the last set of a 4 hour gig) Or if not, uh,...maybe the point is that wrestling with Ed is like the wrestling between the mind/heart and the body when attempting to play music or the bass. If this is the case, which one of you is which?

Now THAT would be the start of an interesting thread! Be sure to post it in ROSIN.
    :cool:

Durrl

14. Hey, CHUG-A-LUG, Welcome to the Board! I notice that you are from Longmont, CO. My Uncle used to own a Bar there called Frankenstein's, have you ever heard of it? I was just in your area around Christmas time, and I can't believe how much the place has changed in the past five years!

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    reedo - What on earth has gotten into you? I don't believe I've ever seen you engage in sophomoric activities like name calling before. Based on the above evidence, perhaps you should do it more often. That was a GOOD ONE!

16. Yeah, as they say in Kentucky, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in awhile!;) Actually, I'm feeling a bit more jovial today, Barrie Kolstein Fed-Exed me a Hard case today to send him the Damaged Fendt for Repairs, which, as I believe I mentioned before,He is Repairing FREE! So all is not lost, evry'tin gonna be aree!

[Edited by reedo35 on 01-25-2001 at 08:47 PM]

17. All this niceness makes me want to barf.
    I posted some of Ed's humanitarian deeds on another thread. Need I list them here?

18. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Hey Paul, based on the popularity of this present thread, and all the musings over Ed Fuqua's comments, slams, word plays, advice, dis', etc. Maybe you should cosider the ED FUQUA FORUM on the DB side.

19. Never heard of Frankensteins. This place has changed a lot. My wife and I just had a house built on the south end of town on what used to be farm land.

[Edited by Mike Chagolla on 01-26-2001 at 10:13 AM]

20. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    This whole wrestling with Ed thread made me think back to a story from my childhood Sunday School days. So I did a quick 'net search and found it in the King Jazz Version as follows:

"And CHAGOLLA was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. ... And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou name me. And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, CHAGOLLA. And he said, Thy name shall be called no more CHAGOLLA, but CHARGORILLA: because you have struggled with ED and have overcome." Genesis 32

I don't know about the "overcome" bit but it's amazing how those old prophets could foretell this thread. It all makes sense to me now. Gotta wrestle with Ed to cross over to the DB side.;)

- the SUN GOD RA RA RAblack