Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hello

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Mar 27, 2001.

1. SuperDuck, I'm into emo too! not many emo fans around these days.

As for the question, I'd go for either 'running in the family' by 'level 42' or 'make yourself' by 'incubus'.

Just my opinion.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Probably cause no one knows what the hell it is... sometimes I don't think I even know...

3. uhh... shouldn´t this have been a private message? :confused:

but now since you said it, who´s emo? ;)

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It COULD have been, but then nobody would have asked what emo was ;)

"Emo" isn't a performer or band, it's a kind of sub-genre of music that's hard to explain. It's mainly punk-influenced, but not really similar. Emo is for emotional, which is the best way I can describe the music. Powerful guitar riffs, and lyrics that are less about "screw the government" and "f uck police" and more insightful, talking (?) about life, love, and deep issues. Just like there's kind of a "punk fashion", you know how to "dress like a punk" there's also the "emo look" which is trying to look like a trendy nerd. Tight t-shirts, scrawny kids, thick, black-rimmed glasses. It's a kind of mini-counterculture. Sunny Day Real Estate is one of the most legendary emo bands (although their last album is more straight ahead rock), along with Jimmy Eat World, The GetUp Kids (Depending on who you talk to) and other.

Better yet, go to www.allmusic.com, and do a Style search for emo. They can do a better job than I.