Hello!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by COYS, Dec 28, 2020.

1. COYS

COYS

Dec 27, 2020
    Hi there!

I'm a guitar player who has just started learning bass, and thought this might be a place to hang out and gather some wisdom.

I recently purchased a Yamaha TRBX604 and am playing (well, practicing) through an Ampeg BA110V2. From what I read these are both very nice places to start and hopefully should carry me a long way.

Looking forward to this journey. See you around!

COYS!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  2. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Reedt2000 and COYS like this.
  3. JasonicNH

JasonicNH

Dec 8, 2020
    Concord, NH
    Welcome aboard. I actually joined here just a few weeks ago, myself. I've had my eye on that TRBX604 for months, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. How do you like it so far? I've played Fender (passive) basses for years, so I can't convince myself that I'll really be happy with the active setup in the Yamaha, and there really isn't a local shop for me to try one out.
    Rock and Roll!

COYS likes this.
  4. COYS

COYS

Dec 27, 2020
    Thanks for the welcome!

Although at this point I might not know a good bass from a bad one, I do like the TRBX604. (I guess it's actually the TRBX604FM ) The build quality is impeccable and cosmetically it looks great.

Looking at the whole range of TRBX basses, the 500 series is where you get the active/passive mode, but moving up to the 600 gives you an alder body with a flame maple top, whereas the 500 and below are solid mahogany. It seemed like a nice upgrade.

I went with this one mainly because of the active/passive switch, there don't seem to be many that offer that option in this price range, and I wanted to buy something that was a good all-arounder and allowed me to experience the differences between active and passive to help me develop. So far I think this is a good choice, and Yamaha stuff is always great quality. I think this will serve me well.

5. JasonicNH

JasonicNH

Dec 8, 2020
    Concord, NH
    I agree that Yamaha is definitely a high quality instrument, and thanks for reminding me about that Active/passive switch, that makes it super versatile.

COYS likes this.
  6. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    Welcome, TB is really a great resource with great people. The only problem is it causes GAS.

Been playing bass for a couple of years now and my second bass was a 604fm and I still can’t explain why I bought the next ten... well it was TalkBass’s fault actually. Don’t let the GAS get you those are awesome basses.

JasonicNH and COYS like this.
  7. COYS

COYS

Dec 27, 2020
    That's funny! Thanks for the encouragement, and I'm glad to hear the TRBX604FM should last me for some time!

Sean150 likes this.
  8. Jv-d

Jv-d

Feb 28, 2021
    Vermont
    Masonic
    Used to live in Henniker for a long time before coming over to Vt-- Concord was stomping ground-- I miss N H, wish I was back there
    I remember Daddy's Junky Music in Manchester, pretty good store , bought some stuff there (they were always a little cocky in there)
    Think I'm going to.take the dive on a tbrx 604, or a sire marcus miller m7 or m5
    Think I'm leaning towards the 604--- don't want to wait for m7-- plus Yamaha's reputation for quality is pretty solid
    Have a couple if RIC s, an old Fender that I put a Warmoth birdseye maple neck on, and a Guild that somebody pulled the frets out of a'la Jaco-- and a beautiful Michael Kelly acoustic/electric Dragon fly, which I keep in a merciless stand nest to my chair to pull out n play easily, without having to plug in so now, in my old age, as I want to get back into giging, I'm looking for the active sound since my style has changed a bit over the years.
    So, I joined TB ( a few days ago) to get a good handle on the different brands I was looking at...
    But, as I said the Yamaha trbx 604 is topping the short List!

9. Jv-d

Jv-d

Feb 28, 2021
    Vermont
    That's Jasonic
    Flipping spell check

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021