1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hello!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Libertine, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Libertine

Libertine

Oct 25, 2006
    Hi. New bass player here (playing on friends bass, buying my own now), been reading your site for a few days. Seem like a nice and informative bunch of chaps.

And so without further ado, a question. Well, more of a long convoluted ranting question, but a question all the same:

I want my own bass, buy do not know where to start. My friend is no professional when it comes to bass, he just knows how to play by ear well, feel the groove, but he doesn't know much about the different brands of bass, sound quality, etc, so I can't go asking him for help. I am a student on Maui, boarding, so on weekdays from 4:00-10:00 I really have nothing to do other than teach myself an instrument, and I love bass.

I have spent a few weeks looking around for a bass, and I've settled on a Traben (Torrent 4). Its in my pricerange, looks pretty damned sexy (SEXEH! :D), and sounds nice (to my untrained newbie ears, heh).

Would you recommend one for a first bass? The few reviews I've found online are very favorable.

Aloha,
    Kahiapo

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Aloha!

Check out www.rondomusic.net

They're favoured here on TB and they're great beginner basses, and a killer price!

Welcome to the Low End!

-mark

3. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I personally can't stand Trabens, but if you think they sound good, then that's all that matters!

Welcome aboard!

4. Libertine

Libertine

Oct 25, 2006
    Any recommendation for which one? A lot ceaper than a traben, nice classic-y look to them, and a lot of you swear by ém?

It does seem a bit strange that the Trabens are all marked down, big time. Something doesn't fit o_O.

And since I'm a total newb, it doesn't matter how it "sounds"because my ear isn't trained yet ^^.

I'll save my money and buy one of those for a beginning bass, upgrade to something better later.

You own one yourself?

5. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I don't own one, no. I play a Fretless Fender Jazz.
    I do own a Squier Precision Bass. They're about on the same level as SX, which is commonly known as Essex on TB.

What kind of bass does your friend have?
    Do you like the way it sounds and feels?

-Mark

6. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Good questions, Mark.

7. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Personally, I'd go for one of these ones.
    sjb62ct3ts1a.jpg
    sjb62cvyw1.jpg
    sjb62qmd3tsfret1.jpg
    spjsb1.jpg

And the one I plan on buying...

wob826flnat1.jpg

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me, or add me to MSN or whatever.

-Mark

8. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
  9. chasfr

chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    Welcome to TB. I've been very happy with my SJB-62 Short Scale from Rondo, but most any of them would probably do you just fine. If you need an amp, the package deals they've got look decent, but shipping to HI will probably be expensive--you might want to just get the bass to save weight, and find a used practice amp locally. (Check Craigslist.)

Knowing Rondo's model codes might help you pick--the "J" means it's a Jazz-style (2 pickups), the "P" is a Precision-style (1 split pickup) and a "PJ", as you might infer, is a combination of P-style split neck pickup and J-style bridge pickup. "62" means it has a rosewood fingerboard, and "57" is a maple fingerboard. I picked the short scale because I have small hands, and the J because it had 3 knobs (really). At the beginner level, and at this price point, choose whichever one appeals to you--it won't make much difference to your playing.

Have fun!
    Chas :bassist:

10. Libertine

Libertine

Oct 25, 2006
    Its a Schecter Stilleto.

I like the way it sounds and feels, but yeah, its pretty much the only bass I've played so asking if I like how it sounds and feels is like asking a recently unvirginized girl if she enjoys sex.

Going to invest in a Essex, I think.

sjb62qmd3tsfret1.jpg
    Sexeh.​

At that price I can save a lot, buy a quality case and some books as well (an actual instructor is not a viable choice right now D: )

11. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Greatest 3rd post ever.

-Mark

12. Libertine

Libertine

Oct 25, 2006
    Hm, smuggling an amp in is going to be a problem. Is it a bad thing for me to be learning without an amp, with an electric bass?

Will I be able to hear it without an amp? :0

13. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    it shouldn't hinder you too much. but you can check some shops and see if anyone has a headphone amp (make sure the headphones you use are compatable)

I would personally suggest the traben because the encounters i'vd had with them have always been enjoyable. they have a nice sound and debending on how you play, what you play, and what you plan on doing, it can work for most of those.

do you know what you plan on doing for the time being once you get your own bass and amp?

14. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I play my electric accoustically pretty often, but that's mainly because I'm lazy. You should definitely try and get an amp though, even if it's a small headphone amp. It's well-worth it.

-Dash

15. Libertine

Libertine

Oct 25, 2006
    I'm not sure yet what I "want" to do. I just love to play musical instruments (violin, 5 years, I play for the joy of it) I listen to everyone from the 5, 6, 7, 8's to Queen, Golden Earring to Rush. I can't see myself as a h4rdk0r3!111 metal guy.

Findin a band on Maui is a bit hard, its a small island and the only bands I know are Hawaiian type music, which is not my cup of tea (even though I'm 25% Hawaiian, go figure.)

Anyway, I've been staring at that Traben on weekends. Called the shop today and its gone :(. Will probably order one from Musician's Friend later, but they don't come in til' November and the shop downtown says their next shipment is Feb :meh:

I have a feeling that sucker is going to break my back.

I'll look into that. Thanks!