Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anarchyatwork, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Hello everyone, my friend told me this is the best place to learn bass techniques, about basses, etc etc. So here I go, I'm bassist and vocalist in a doomfuision (doom metal with other elements like funk and blues riffs thrown into it) band, I also play bass for my church. I'm wanting to make a bass for both purposes, not like one but seperate ones. Well ok here's all my questions:
    1. I like to slap and pop but my thumb is kinna deformed lol. It's double jointed and at the joint bends backwards, so naturally I can't slap without hitting 2 strings at once unless it's on a really wide neck and for that I have to hold my thumb vertical to the string. Any suggestions of jsut make sure I play wide necked basses?

2. What kind of wood gives a dark a growly black metal sound to your bass?

3. What wood gives a nice contemporary gospel sound to a bass?

4. What pick ups would be good for a dark and growly basss black metal bass that I wanna slap and pop with?

5. Wha tpick ups would work for the other sound?

6. Active or passive electronics?

7.Where can i get the woods and the pickups and everything at good prices?

Thanks lol, talk to you all sometime,
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, hey there. welcome to talkbass. :) you have a lot of questions there, but your best bet would be to find the bassists who's sound you like and figure out how they got it, to figure out the kind of layout you need on your instrument.
  3. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    doomfusion? what will they think of next? well you got one thing going for you, jaco himself was double jointed in both his thumbs ,so i cant be a bad thing,and as far a "doomfusion" i cannot help you.:meh:
  4. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, you know what they say - you can't go wrong with a Jazz Bass. Get one with a good preamp (the J-retro gets a lot of praise here) and you'll be all set.
  5. Well I got an idea for a 5 string bass on swamp ash with a 1/2 thick flamed maple top............5th string being tuned to A tho.since it's last before it sounds like crap..and maybe like...a hipshot on E so it hits C or B and has an amazing growl to it. I dunno...
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I use my MIA P Bass for church music sounds pretty good :) I also use a pod so I tweak with it til I get the sound I want :D but mmm maybe you can try a Fender Artist Series Roscoe Beck V those things are quite versatile and if you want an active put a j-retro in there
  7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Why build anything when you can buy it off the shelf cheaper.
    Why don't you just get a Chzech Spector NS 5string for your doom stuff...very growly-grindy tone and it's great for slapping.
    Then for the mellow church stuff get a simple Mex made Fender P bass.
  8. Methinks the collective chain is being pulled.....