Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Helmutt Hattler

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mcbassdude, May 18, 2003.

1. Any Kraan fans out there? Who's hip to Helmutt Hattler?
    One of the few Ricky playin Jazz men out there.
    If your not hip to him check out Nam Nam (you can download from the NearFest website www.nearfest.com
    Comments?:cool:

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome to TB, McBassDude.

I've read about him. Never heard his music, but it's on my "to do" list.

Actually, I might have heard him if he's on the Hotwire "Basstorius" CD.

Now, I'm gonna make YOU hip to the "Bassists" forum, where this thread belongs.

Doing a search wouldn't hurt either.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, when you're a bassist and live in Germany you have heard (of) him.

I saw him twice with his duo project Tab Two, he's one of the most interesting pick players around.
    He developed his unique style as early as the early 70s. His trademark are agile, melodic lines and flageolet chording.

http://www.hellmuthattler.de/

[EDIT] Oh, I forgot, He has a new solo album out, called Mallberry Moon, haven't heard it yet though.

4. I've downloaded the songs he has available on the above site. The jazz tune Naomi is very nice, smooth. A bit different from his more energetic stuff. Great chording.
    The other two tunes appear to be a "Pop" project he's got a hand in. Sounds alot like the Cardigans. I think it may be his daughter??Me likey!
    His picking does remind me of Squire's style.
    He is truly one of the great unsung bassists.
    So Tab Two is a duo?, I had thought it was just the title of an album by Kraan or Helmutt. Who's the other half?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. Thanks for the lowdown on Tab Two. I had no idea they were so prolific. Lot's of new cd's for me to explore. Yeh!

F.Y.I. Here's a guy you may want to check out www.mp3.com/garry_goodman
    I've seen this guy play in Los Angeles and he does a tapping technique I've never really seen anyone else do. 64th note runs, harmonics and chording. Check out Haleakela.
    Peace

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually, Garry himself has been here talking about the technique. There was some butting of heads for some reason. Haven't seen him since.

8. I first saw Garry perform in the late 70's and early 80's at the Troubador and such in L.A. He was the first guy I personally saw playing 7 string bass. Saw him with a band called Jazzmen. He floored me. Quickest runs i'd ever heard on bass. Really nice guy too. Very generous with his time.
    Anyway i'd lost sight of him and Jazzmen over the years and just recently found the mp3 site much to my pleasure.
    I read the threads, Don't quite get the hostility. Irregardless of the history of the technique, He certainly has mastered it. Take the time to listen is all I have to say about that.
    Peace

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think the issue was that he started another account under another name to back himself up - having somebody else saying "he's really great" when it was really him under another name, (it was obvious, both accounts had the same weird "typing errors" not to mention the site owner can do an ip address trace).

when i called him on it and suggested that that was the wrong way to go about trying to get credibility, he started attacking me personally, and my playing, which was a joke - accusing me of some pretty ridiculous and yet humourous things. unfortunately the thread was closed before i had a chance to address his idiocy.

i think his problems were that he expected everyone to pucker up and kiss his butt once he started posting because he was "the (self-proclaimed) world's first 7 string bassist", and folks weren't going to do that - people don't get respect around here just because they make claims.

it's a shame, really. if his attitude was better, and he had a bit more humility and was less confrontational, he would've been a valuable addition to the site. perhaps he'll come back some day. i know i don't hold any grudges, despite his uncalled for personal insults towards me, my instruments and my playing.

10. WOW
    That is too bad. I'm quite suprised to hear all that. It sounds so out of charachter.
    My experience with Mr. Goodman was always very pleasurable. When I met him I was a young 20 yr old bassist and he was most generous with his time. He never talked down to me and was most encouraging.
    Maybe it's just all a bad misunderstanding.
    All that aside I think if the folks here gave a listen they may soften up. Is it boasting if you can back it up?
    I've been a working musician for over 20+ years. I've seen alot of the greats perform over the years, and I can truly say Garry Goodman is one of the most incredibly gifted players I have ever witnessed.
    Didn't they throw cymbals at John Coltrane?
    Peace

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you're probably right - after all, internet communications are very difficult, and it's very easy to misunderstand someone's words. who knows? maybe he'll come back some?

and yeah, i think it's still boasting if it includes belittling others, regardless of whether you can back it up or not. there are quite a few folks on here who can back it up and you won't see them put anyone down or "boast" at anyone else's expense. we're all here to share, after all. right? :)

12. Yes certainly E-Communications can be taken in the wrong light. As we all know, it's not always what you say but how you say it. Unfortunatly there is no infelction on the net, so sometimes things come of quite different then intended.

I definatly don't feel anyone should ever belittle another player. Music is a subjective animal. One mans noise is anothers Eargasm.Fingerpointing is definatly a No NO in my book.

Having read the threads again I think maybe some peeps got bent because he tried to establish his cred and I think it came of the wrong way.
    As far as inventing the technique, that is certainly open to debate. Did Larry Graham really invent slapping? Does it really matter? I know Marcus Miller didn't invent slapping but he certainly refined it.
    I believe the first time I saw Garry Goodman perform on a 7 string was probably around '78 or so. Up to that time I had not personally seen anyone use more than 4 strings (other than the stick). It definatly made a lasting impression on me. Of course now everybody has one, but back then he was the only guy I saw with one (for what thats worth). I'd also never seen anyone do the tapping harmonics thing, this also made a lasting impression.
    You know I suddenly feel like I'm F.Lee Baily defending Garry Goodman. And thats kinda silly.
    It strikes me that you and Mr.Goodman have quite a bit in common and would probably be mates if you met at a gig.
    Hopefully he will come back here again. I know I'd like to chat with him again...

And Hey how about that Helumtt Hattler!! Okay he only plays 4 strings and he's a picker but damn he can get around on that beast.
    Peace

13. John Turner,
    Went to your site and tried to listen, but it wouldn't download the tunes or play them?
    PEace

14. fbauer1

fbauer1

Apr 12, 2003
    Cologne, germany
    Hi bass mcdude,
    I'm in the lucky position to hear and see HELLMUT HATTLER (HH) some times a year here in germany.
    If you are interested in more details and history, you should also have a look on

www.hellmut-hattler.com
    www.bassball.net/ (label)
    www.artmeup.de/kraan.htm (fan site)
    www.kraan.de (official site)
    www.danbbs.dk/~m-bohn/kraan/ (best source)

in short:
    HH founded KRAAN in 1971 - and they're alive since over 30 years and with 13 (official) records
    HH played with Joo Kraus as TAB TWO (TAB = trumpet & bass)for 8 albums
    in 2000 he started his own project HATTLER with current 3 CDs.
    You can order all availible discs on www.nyjg.com (US).
    If you need more detailed information, please let me know: fred.bauer@computacenter.com.
    with bass(t) compliments, FRED

15. Fbauer,
    Thanks for the links. I've been to most of them already. I stumbled on Helmutts "Bassball" record in the 70's and have been a fan ever since. Not easy to find Kraan here in the states let alone Tab Two. Thankgod for the internet! I'll be strating a collection of Helmutt!
    He is such a phenomenol player.
    I downloaded the three available songs at the Hattler site. Do you know anything about the band? Who is the girl singer? The song Naomi is so sweet and subtle. Great bass harmonies.
    Peace

16. fbauer1

fbauer1

Apr 12, 2003
    Cologne, germany
    Hi mc,
    as I heard from US fans, there is a small community of KRAAN fans via where you can catch probably some records:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kraanaholics/
    If you are interested in I can send you a nearly complete list of all records HH made ever (including boots) to your private mail account.
    The band HATTLER is staffed with
    sandie wollasch - voc (www.sandiew.de)
    mkechi mbakwe - voc
    oli rubow - dr (www.olirubow.de & www.rubeau.com)
    sebastian 'stud' studnitzky trumpet & keys (www.studnitzky.de)
    hellmut hattler - bass & voc
    HH's very special bass sound is made with
    status graphite eclipse /w kahler tremolo
    (www.status-graphite.com) &
    ritter custom made w/ ritter bb1 trem
    (www.ritter-basses.com) &
    magnus sharkey fretless w/ piezo PUs
    glockenklang stereo amplifier & 3 x 15' w/ horn
    digitech chorus & delay, digitech harmonizer.

"quattro stringhe e basta!" (means 4 strings are enough)so far, FRED.

17. I'd appreciate the listing (mcbassdude@cox.net)
    So am I to understand he's not playing the Rickey anymore?

18. By the way, it's "Hellmut", with two "l" but only one "t" (pronounced "Hellmoot Huttler"...or something like that).
    ;) @ mcbassdude

I've only heard him with Tab Two, but I remember seeing him all the time in Ibanez' ads in musician's magazines back in the '80s - oh those glasses and Hawaiian shirts! :D

19. I was using the Old Prussian spelling Herr Volker LOL!
    Download "Nam Nam" by Kraan from www.nearfest.com It's a really good live recording (excellent quality for a live recording)and really shows of Helmutt's stuff about midway.
    They'll be playing on the east coast at the Near Fest this July.
    Peace

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the link in my sig links to a 12 minute instrumental. try that one :)