Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help: 12" or 15"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eldarking, May 17, 2004.

1. eldarking

eldarking Guest

Jul 7, 2001
    Witham, Essex, UK
    I'm looking at buying a new amp quite soon, and just wondered what the difference is between a 12" or 15" speakers.

Cheers for any help!

2. 12 or 15 will depend on what you will use it for and the type of sound you are after.

As you live close to London I suggest you pop along to

The Gallery in Camden their web site is www.thebassgallery.com Martin and or Alex will both give you great advice and they have a lot of cabs to try out and choose from.

You could also try The bass Centre [I think now called world of guitars] in Brune street near Liverpool St station.

For what it's worth I use an Epifani 10" ultra light as a monitor and will be adding an Accugroove Tri 112 as soon as the Gallery get them in - hopefully in the next week or so. as I usually go through PA.

Hope this helps

Matthew

3. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    PERSONALLY I detest 12's for bass guitar... I prefer a combo of 10s and 15s. I enjoy the punchiness of the 10s and the LF (and throw) of the 15...

IMHO

4. one3rd

one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    Minnesota
    The quick answer: A 12" speaker is 12 inches in diameter and a 15" speaker is 15 inches in diameter.

5. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    you mean a "crack" answer (sorry)

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    *ba dum ching* :rolleyes: :D

I have a 15 and I find myself looking for more highs even though I have a tweeter. It has tons of low end and grunt but doesn't quite sit as well in the mix as I'd like. It all depends what kind of music you are going to be playing.
    A 12 will generally be a bit punchier and well rounded. Of course, a high end 12 can go very low and a high end 15 can be very punchy, round, and bright.
    I really haven't been much help.... :help:
    \
    Travis

7. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    It's true that a 15 usually doesn't have sufficient HF... BUT have you tried an EV 15M?? Those babies are the GODS of 15 inch drivers!! I use an ol'GK 115 with the EV15M (the cab usually comes with an EV15OEM). It is simply the best 15 I've ever heard (IMHO). A good compromise is to have a 210 cab on top, if they're good drivers you'd get some good HF...

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 12" speaker will result in a much smaller and lighter box without a huge loss in volume or low end.

My advice: if portability is a big issue, 12". Otherwise, 15".

FWIW, I use both.

Anyone who tells you 12" speakers have a "sound" is full of it. It depends on the exact 12" speaker you have and what cabinet it's mounted in.

9. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Hi
    This is a copy of an entry I put in another thread a few weeks ago. Maybe of help.

Until recently I had two Ashdowns, an ABM 115/500 combo and an EL 130/15. Sadly, due to a serious bad back, I've had to part ex the ABM. It was a super amp and I wasn't happy about changing it but it was just too heavy. As it is, the EL (at 19kgs) is still a bit more than I should be lifting with my back. Luckily, I had found that the EL is fine for nearly all our gigs in terms of volume so the ABM didn't need to go out much.
    However, I was loaned a Gallien-Krueger MB150E by a friend to try out while I still had my two Ashdowns. Ideal, as I could try each one out side by side. Well I was very impressed with this little 12" tin box combo. The depth and clarity were incredible- I couldn't believe you could get such lows from that little combo. And it weighs just 24lbs. Far more depth than the EL, much approaching that of the ABM with its fixed EQ in. So I made the decision that I had to compromise - weight of amp v output capability. I traded my ABM for a MB150.
    I would never have changed the ABM other than for the reason I did. I suppose I worry a bit in case we have to play in a big venue. I also worry because the MB150 only has an adjustable limiter and I'm going to miss the VU meter. Also the staff at Ashdown just have to be the most helpful on the planet, they are great to deal with.
    I just wish I could lift amps around like I could 30 years ago.