Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help -- 15" Ashdown Blue Line is DOA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cmhgreg, Nov 10, 2004.

1. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I just bought a 15 inch Ashdown Blue Line speaker that was pulled out of a cosmetically damaged c115t combo. I also bought a MAG 300 combo head and four Blue Line 10" speakers. I copied the dimensions of a MAG 115 deep cab and a MAG 410 deep cab and had empty cabs built to those specs by steelsound. The 115 cab from steelsound just arrived. I hooked up the 15 Blue Line and . . . nothing. Dead silence. The head works fine, and so do the 10's. I hooked each 10 up in the cab, connected it to the head and each 10 works fine. Obviously, so does the head. So the 15 is definitely DOA.

My question is: what to do? The eBay auction was "as is". The auction description said it was in excellent condition, but I think that would only apply to someone who plays very quietly! I have emailed the seller and am waiting to see what he is willing to do. Assuming he doesn't have any other Blue Line 15's to swap me, can I get the speaker repaired? If so, where? Does anyone know if Ashdown will replace or repair it? I did not get a manufacturer's warranty with the speaker. If repairing isn't a viable option, what 15 inch replacement speakers should I consider? The 1x15 cab dimensions are 19.5" H x 23.75" W x 16.5" D (approx. 4.4 cubic feet), with a vent slot across the bottom of the cab (just like the MAG 115). The cab is pretty sweet, so I don't want it to go wasted. Thaks in advance for your input.

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The "As-Is" is the kicker. You are SOL unless the seller is cool. I went through this about 4 months ago with a head and the seller was cool.

3. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I hope he is cool too, but the best I can probably expect is for him to take the speaker back and refund my money. That leaves me with an empty 1x15 cab that was copied from the Ashdown design and no Ashdown speaker to put in it. Maybe I wuld be better off trying to get it repaired. I only paid $61 (including shipping) for the speaker. Anybody know what the cost range of a repair would be?

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Depends whats wrong with it.

5. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    The seller said it was tested, was operating, and was "in excellent condition" before it was shipped. The other things I purchased from the same seller were described the same way, and they are in fact in that condition. Let's assume it's not blown for the moment. It was packed well and the box was in good condition, but what types of things could go wrong with it if it were jarred in shipping? That was the reason given as to why it was pulled from the original MAG cab, and it could have been knocked around even more when it was shipped to me. Could it be that an internal wire has become disconnected? If it were something like this, what kind of ballpark am I in costwise?

6. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Took the speaker to a repair place today. The voice coil had become unwound. They are not certain they will be able to fix it. What speaker would be a good substitute? The cab is 19.5"H x 23.75"W x 16.5"D made out of 3/4" ply. The port is 1.5"H x 22.25"W. It has a piezo tweeter w/ an L-Pad attenuator. Thanks for any suggestions.

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Eminence. Kappa is a pretty good speaker. Of course there is always Carvin speakers if you don't want to spend to much, but remember you get what you pay for.