1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help!!! 18v Aguilar preamp with EMGs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gunnerhea86, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Gunnerhea86

Gunnerhea86

Jul 29, 2009
    A while back I purchased an Aguilar OBP-2 preamp to be paired with
    Bassline pickups. They sound great together. Recently I have decided
    to take my tone in a different direction and purchased some EMG's (EMG
    P, and EMG MMTW, to be exact). They are the quick connect type
    (solderless) connectors. I know it's possible to remove the connector
    so they can be hardwired. My question is, what kind of pots do I need?
    I think I need 25k for the two volumes, but what kind of pot do I need
    for the bass/treble stack? Did I make a huge mistake in assuming that
    I could connect active pickups to an 18v active preamp? I know some of
    the higher end Spector basses have EMG's with Aguilar preamps. To make
    my question(s) more straight forward: If even possible, what pots do I
    need to join that preamp with these (active EMG's) pickups?

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    You are right, the volumes need to be 25K. (Push pull if it's a EMG TW, unless you want to switch coils with a separate switch.)

The tone pots doesn't need to be changed as they doesn't really interact with the picups. The tone pots only manipulate the circuit for the tone control. :)

3. stix_clgi

stix_clgi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    ^^^^

What he said. Use whatever pot values Aguilar suggests for the tone controls. A quick Google search shows 50k linear pots as the values for the Aguilar preamps. You'll love the EMG's paired with the Aguilar! Good luck with the install.

4. Gunnerhea86

Gunnerhea86

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks for the replies! Does the fact that I have the "quick connect" version of the EMGs add the need for additional parts, or do i just simply cut off the connector and install it that way?

5. Smilodon

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    No, the quick connect doesn't change anything. Electrically quick connect equipment works exactly the same as any other similar part.

Note that most EMG pots have small pads that you can solder wires to. You don't have to solder any wires to the connector pins. (Just in case you didn't already know. :) )

6. Gunnerhea86

Gunnerhea86

Jul 29, 2009
    Excellent! This is all very helpful. One last Question. The Aguilar preamp is wired for 18v (for extra headroom when I had passive Basslines installed). Will I have to install another battery to power the pickups, or will the pickups be powered off of the existing 18v? What should I do here? I really don't want 3 batteries!

If these questions are completely ridiculous I apologize. I'm new to wiring passive stuff, let alone active stuff. So, thank you for your patience and knowledge. :bassist:

7. The current is so small the battery barely knows it's supplying current at all. Run a dozen pickups on one battery if you want.

8. Smilodon

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway

You have more need for 18V with active pickups than with passive (In general theory anyway). EMGs handle 18V without any trouble, so running both pickups and preamp from the same batteries works very well. In fact, it's very rare to do it in any other way. ;)

Wise people look before they leap. :) There are no stupid questions, as they say.

9. How so? It makes absolutely no difference, unless you happen to have a set of very hot pickups, which are more likely to be passive, since active pickups are a rarity outside of EMG, MEC and a few others.

10. Smilodon

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Hmm. I don't really know what I was thinking when I wrote that...

In theory active picups can be hotter (Because they are amplified), but as you say there are passives that can be pretty hot as well.

11. Gunnerhea86

Gunnerhea86

Jul 29, 2009
    image-1019710012.

Sorry for the crappy cell pic, but here's the finished product. It is AMAZING! This bass has the look and feel of a Fender, but sounds like my old Spector. It's arguably the coolest bass I've ever owned.

12. Gunnerhea86

Gunnerhea86

Jul 29, 2009
    Oh, thank you Smilodon for the guidance :bassist: