HELP!! 1962 Precision?? I think so.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KenToby, Dec 23, 2002.

1. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I bought a Precison a few days ago from a pawnshop. The thing that caught my eye was the fact that is had a weathered look to it. Not an abused look, but a dated look. I put in on lay away as a way for them to hold it until I could check the serial # on the neck plate.The number is 73979. Low and behold it checked out to be a 1962. At this point in time I think I made the biggest score of my life!! To further reinforce the 1962 date, it has the reverse turning tuners, clay position markers, the strap button on the back of the headstock, vintage pickups with fabric insulation and a large orange tone capacitor. There are no other identifying numbers anywhere else aside from the neck plate. The the thumb rest is above the E string (as opposed to being below the G string).
    I've had the bass completly apart to clean it and have not found any other numbers.
    What else can I look for that would tell me that this bass is indeed a 1962 and not a collection of vintage parts.
  2. Try to contact Fender.

I'm sure some of the knowledgeable Fender guys will be along shortly.

Good luck

Pssst, how much did you pay for it?:confused: (If you don't mind my asking.)
  3. the position of the thumb/finger rest is of interest, as I thought they only moved it above the strings in the late 60's/70's, and the reissue '62 has it below the strings.
    but Klaus Blasquiz' "the Fender Bass" book is a bit vague about it, and seems to suggest it could be either for that era.
  4. what color is it? it doesn't have "funk" carved into the neck heel does it? ;)
  5. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Oh man... that would turn it into the "ultimate score". :)
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...shouldn't the neck have the DATE stamped on its heel?
    I think my '64 has the date stamped there.
    Anyway, the clay position markers & reverse Kluson tuners sound 'good'. I am confused why the the "thumb rest" is placed above the "E", though.
  7. I'm pretty suss about that thumbrest too, to my knowledge all basses pre-CBS were on the G side.
  8. I would scream like a girl if someone found it!
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    The thumbrest was moved from the G side to the E side sometime in 1973.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just to throw even more confusion into the fire-
    Dug out an 'old' Guitar Player mag from March '89(Danny Gatton cover).
    There's an article, "Dating Fender Basses", within-

Some quotes-

"The Fender factory usually dated basses on the neck heel & in the neck slot. Pencil is used on early basses, & ink-stamp after early 1962."

"...neck & body dates can vary by many months because Fender dated these parts early in the manufacturing process. So, neck & body dates show when Fender made the separate parts, but only approximate the instrument's final assembly date."

"You can check the serial numbers; however, Forrest White puts little faith in them as a means of dating them, because they're dramatically out of order. He points out that the factory stamped, plated, & assembled thousands of guitars. At each step, the number plates got mixed up like a tossed salad. Another reason to question the usefulness of serial numbers is that unscrupulous private parties & dealers can easily change them".

This article was written by Richard Smith & Fender collector Jim Werner(my Google search didn't really help with any info on Werner).
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Lets see the Pics!