Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! 1st fret position buzzing on my fretless!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Triclops, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    My d and g strings sound as if they are bottommed out when I play the first fret position. I tried filling the nut down,but I am afraid to continue because I don't want to ruin the nut!
    any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!:help:

2. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    why not just raise the saddle??? Or get higher tension strings.

3. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    tried raising the saddle and it don't work.thinking of trying heavy guage strings

4. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    b e and a strings aren't as bad...twisted neck?

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm gonna say that your nut is too low, too high, or your strings don't fit into the nut. I've had this problem alot and that seems to always fix it.

-Mark

6. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    It's pretty straight...I am afraid I might have cut the nut to deep...:scowl: The G string sits about a businness cards height above the board at the first fret.They all have this problem,but the G is the worst.:eyebrow: The rest of the neck sounds beautiful!(excellant mwahh tone)I am not going to file the rest down till I know whats goin on...

7. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I'd buy a nut file set and make a new one yourself...I hear about these people paying 40 bucks for a new nut when you can buy a file set for 100, so in just 3 nuts you've made your money back, and it'll only cost 3 or so bucks per nut from then on.

8. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    It is not quite clear from your first post,
    Is the buzz happening on the open(unfingered) string or when you finger the string at the point where the first fret would have been.
    If the latter then your nut is ok.
    Please clarify

9. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    It happens when I finger the string where the 1st fret should normally be...Man this is really bumming me out:scowl:

10. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    1 Check your relief and adjust to give about a credit card thickness.Hold down the sting at first frt and 17th fret position and measure the string to fingerboard clearance midway between
    2 adjust your bridge saddles up a little if needed
    do not fiddle with yout nut, it is not the problem

11. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    would you suggest a shim?

12. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    never mind the shim! I fixed it! it was the neck relief after all
    !!! You guys rule! and thanx for all your helpfull replies!

13. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
  14. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
  15. Great news.. I was going to add that everytime I have a buzz problem on 1st fret areas it's usually because the truss is too tight (neck being pulled into a slight backbow)..

Mag...