Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP - 2 4ohm cabs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Satchbog, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Satchbog

Satchbog

Dec 30, 2002
    I have a Hartke 3500 head and currently have a Carvin 15" (4ohm's)Cab. Sounds great, I am thinking of adding a 2x10 (4ohm)Cab as well. My question is, since I'm not familiar how the whole impedence thinks works, is can my Hartke 3500 (350 watts) handle the 2 4 ohm Cabinets safely?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    On the back of your amp, or in the owner's manual, it should list a minimum safe load. With two four ohm cabs, your load would be two ohms, which most amps can't handle. The Hartke might, I don't know. If you don't have the manual, you can download one at the Hartke website.

If you want to run two cabs, the regular practice is to get two eight ohm cabs, which results in a four ohm load on the amp. There's a question about how the math works in the Newbie FAQ that's link in my sig.

3. Satchbog

Satchbog

Dec 30, 2002
    So I guess I'm screwed??? Min output for the Hartke is 4ohms. Are the other ways to get this done??? Without buying all new amps and cabs??

4. Wire the cabinets in series - you'll get an 8 ohm load.

Connect amp (+) to cab1 (+)

Connect cab1 (-) to cab2 (+)

Connect cab2 (-) to amp (-)

good luck!

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I think you can make a special cable to hook them together in line from one jack on the back of your amp. This would make your speakers run at 8 ohms. This will decrease the volume coming from each cab, but with an extra cab you increase volume so I am not sure what the trade off would volume wise.

Allan beat me to it :p

6. Looks like we were only a minute apart, bizzaro. Great minds think aline ;)

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My guess is that it would be close to a wash and probably not worth the money and time spent. Presumably a big reason to get a 2nd cab would be increased acoustic output, and to reduce the amp's output by increasing the total impedance of the speaker cabs would seem counterproductive.