help 4 buying 1st BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrbill180, Dec 28, 2001.

1. mrbill180

Dec 28, 2001
    :confused: I'm looking to buy my 1st bass and have visited three local shops in N. Cali. Which is best deal, or do you recommend something else?

Site 1: Samick - Model FB w/ Crate Amp (8") +
    4 lessons for $349.

Site 2: 1) Peavey Micro Bass (Mide Stone II?? )
    hard to read salesman's writing))
    w/Peevey 8" amp for $261

2) Peavey Fury? + Peavey amp for $448

Site 3: Fender Squire Standard P w/10" amp
    (15 watts), soft case, cable, tuner, video,
    4 lessons for $450 you have any other suggestions for someone just starting out in the world of BASS?

I'd appreciate any feedback at all. Please help!
  2. Are all of these within your price range?

If so, I think I'd go for one of the Peavey packages and take the price difference and apply it to some lessons.
  3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Look at used gear, your $$$ will go a LOT farther.

Oct 3, 2000
    don' look in stores go to a second hand shop and find somthing that you feel comfortable with i.e weight string tension and sound etc then look for the smallest little imperfections t lower the price and just pretend like you know exactly what your talking about, simple

following this get al the money that you can to buy a good sounding amp cos if ya don't you'll seriously regret it
  5. E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    This should be moved to Basses to get more replies.

I agree and say go with one of the Peavey packages.
  6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Yeah, maybe we'll move this to Basses..........

Chris A.
  7. How long are you planning on playing bass? sounds like a dumb question, but when i first started out people told me to buy in a cheap price range which is good, but a waste of time if you plan on playing for awhile. If you think your going to play for a while, i say go big! I found the squier were a pain to learn on, and any used or cheap one i didn't like playing. i don't know if you guys have music stores that allow you to rent to own but if you do, i suggest going with a better bass. That's what i did with my ibenz sr 800, it was a great bass, very light, small neck, it was easy to play. It cost about 1000 canadain. but i enjoyed playing that better than any cheapy out there. that's just my two cents!
  8. Here's what I did -

Go to the music stores, check out the basses that YOU like, regardless of price ... just for 'checking out' purposes!

Then go online(EBAY ...) and try and find the basses that you liked in the stores. You can usually get really good prices on line as long as you know what you are looking for. Learning on a cheap instrument can often lead to you not enjoying the playing.

I agree with the amps, get something decent. Play without one for a while if you have to save up $$. But a cheap 8" amp will quickly become of no use!

Good Luck, and let us know!