Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help 4 Buying my 1st BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrbill180, Dec 28, 2001.

1. mrbill180

mrbill180

Dec 28, 2001
    USA
    :confused: I'm looking to buy my 1st bass and have visited three local shops in N. Cali. Which is best deal, or do you recommend something else?

Site 1: Samick - Model FB w/ Crate Amp (8") +
    4 lessons for $349.

Site 2: 1) Peavey Micro Bass (Mide Stone II?? )
    hard to read salesman's writing))
    w/Peevey 8" amp for $261

2) Peavey Fury? + Peavey amp for $448

Site 3: Fender Squire Standard P w/10" amp
    (15 watts), soft case, cable, tuner, video,
    4 lessons for $450

OR...do you have any other suggestions for someone just starting out in the world of BASS?

I'd appreciate any feedback at all. Please help!

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    imo the peavey fury is the best bass of the ones you mentioned.

How big is the amp that comes with it? I cant tell you if i think it's an overall good deal if i dont know the amp size.

Also how much are you willing to spend on a bass/amp?

btw welcome to talkbass.

also look in pawn shops, more often than not you can find a good bass in there for a reasonable price.

3. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    My First was a washburn, XB 100 250$$. It sounds fine for a first bass. I just tore the little strap holder out of it tonight.....crappy wood..o well....its a good deal though.....and an amp....Ibanez XB-10...100$ 10 watt amp....
    BTW....welcom to tb...o ya....dont ask about tabs....ever.....;)

4. well...
    my first bass was the Ibanez SGR 600 ..
    a very nice and simple bass.. and that for not more then 280 US $ ...
    I do not advice samick.. a friend of mine has got samick too ... and well.. it's just terrible !!!!

but I prefer the Warwick Corvetta F.N.A. Jazzman !! :)

5. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I wouldn't recommend Squier anything. Those Peavey's you mentioned aren't too bad... but get something that you like, don't get something we think is cool. Find a bass that you feel comfortable playing and like its sound. I've had an Ibanez GSR 200 for a little over 2 years now and it's worked fine for me. As for an amp, don't waste your money on a crappy amp, you'll just spend more later for a decent one. Its all trial and error, find a bass that you like and test it out on some amps. Happy bass-hunting:D

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey!

And welcome. That second pack would be Peavey Milestone III -bass and Peavey Microbass amp.

That Peavey amp is probably the best tiny amp for you, and Peavey basses shoulden't be bad either. I would recommend Yamaha bass(either RBX-270 or BBN4) with that amp tho, if you can find em' in stores nearby. I suggest you try all the basses mentioned plus the Yamahas and see which one feels most comfortable with you.

7. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    get the hartke starter pack. We sell those at my store and when people ask me on a vote on which starter pack to get i say get the hartke pack instead of the p-bass pack. the hartke pack comes with a good bass and a kick ass amp. hartke amps are one of the best solid state amps made. so if were u i would get the hartke pack. the ibanez one is a good too.

8. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    If you just a starter just go with the Squier, because it's include lessons.

This is far more useful then you have a good bass but doesn't know how to play it.

Otherwise go with the best bass what ever you spend it.

:cool: