Help! 800 watt+ power needed for my Aguiler GS412

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamesblue, Mar 27, 2005.

1. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    I'm in a new band and I need MORE POWER!!

Like to stay under $1K.

So, I got a great deal at my local shop, an Aguilar GS412, 800 watt continuis 1200 peak (4 12in speakers), I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Problem is, I have an SWR PRO 350, it just barley powers this cabinet. When I got the cab in knew I would need more power.

Anyway, what should I get. I like my SWR Sound, but have read, maybe too many, reviews on the new SWR gear.

The sound I'm looking for: good DI to the house PA, I wan't the sound of my bass that's going into it, Hamer USA Cruise bass (jazz bass), I like AC/CD, STP, Early Chilli Peppers sound.

Here's my choices I'm considering:

SWR PRO 750: $999.99
    SWR 750 power amp: $799.99
    Ashdown MK500: $850.00 (
    SUNN 1200S (USED) ebay: $500.00 (give or take)
    Genz Bens 1200: $1200.00 (out this month)
    Ampeg Classic: $999.99 (Used 10 hours at local shop)
    Yorkville 800: $600.00

Someone with experience pelase help, I'm leaning too the SWR since it's what I've been using for 5 years, I use no EQ on it an like a classic bass sound with a little bite to it so I
    cut through.

2. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think you could go wrong with the Genz.

More power than any of those (and Genz rates very conservatively), and probably the best customer service around.
  3. I paid a grand total of $934 for my Stewart World 1.6 and Sansamp RBI (both brand new). I've got 1,600 watts of power, a wide array of tones, and the whole thing weighs 21 pounds. I highly recommend this setup!
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I think at $1k you can get something good, but are knocking at the door for something REALLY good, 3 to 5 hundred more bucks puts you in a different ballpark completely.
    Please understand that I think most the amps you listed will get the job done depending on your volume needs, but $1k is alot, and for a little more....WOW...If I were in your shoes I would look for a used GK800RB and pack the rest away until I could take the major plunge. The 800RB will go pretty dang loud and give you some tones you will appreciate based on you're tastes you listed. I think it will keep you happy while you save-up for the "dream power amp " you know you and your cab really deserve(yes I am venting GAS, sorry)
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I say get the Ampeg SVT-CL... can't go wrong with tubes :bassist:
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Consider the Carvin B1500. $700, 1250 W at 4 ohms.
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Carvin's figures are a bit inflated, but even so that would be enough power.
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    What's your basis for saying this? Have you measured the output of this amp? If not, then you don't really know.

Hey, I haven't measured it either. But I own one, and trust me, it has a lot of power. I guess I just don't see the point of making the kind of statement you made if you don't have anything to back it up.

If you do have facts, I apologize in advance.
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    If you like fleas sound... perhaps look at GK? He used GK amps with Mesa cabs for a while.
  10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I don't have statistics, but I've played through Carvin power amps. They are good quality and all, but the volume just isn't the same as say my old Crown rated at the same watts. Not dissing Carvin or anything, but they inflate the numbers a little. However, you get so many watts per $ with Carvin that it evens out.
  11. ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    Have you thought about a preamp + power amp setup? The reason being, you can get a power amp ideally suited to your cab - probably more watts than you'll generally see in many all-in-one heads - then try different preamps until you find one you like. You could even get the power amp, and run the XLR out from your 350x to the amp for now, just to see what that sounds like. The SWR manual says it's OK to run it like this, without a speaker load; just make sure the amp has an XLR input if you're gonna try this.

Preamps are generally less expensive to buy and ship (lighter) than all-in-one heads, so it's easy to ebay one, check it out, then sell it and get another if you don't like it. Most of the brands you list make preamps: SWR, Ampeg, Ashdown, along with GK, Eden, etc., dunno about Yorkville, don't think Genz does though...

I'd start with a QSC PLX1202 or 1602, bridged mono into 4 ohms, 1200/1600 watts of clean power and headroom. And the QSCs have the XLR inputs you want, along with the standard 1/4 inch. Note that the QSCs only have Speakon outputs, and you'll need to modify the Speakon cable if you want to run the power amp bridged. Other people also recommend Crest, Crown and Stewart power amps.

Just another perspective. FYI, my rig = Stingray -> Eden Navigator -> QSC PLX2402 -> Aguilar GS412.
  12. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I have a Pre/power setup for sale in the classified forums. I used that rig with my GS 412 and S210 and it had plenty of power.
  13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yorkville or the Sunn. Both sweet amps.
  14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Have you tested or sampled the Kustom Groove Bass 1200? 1200 watts, has a great feature set, killer tone, etc. It's worth checking into because they can be had for $500 - $600 new. Comes with a nice footswitch and Neutrik Speakon cable too (8ft heavy duty). I love mine and EVERYBODY who has heard it comments on the KILLER tone it puts out!

GROOVE BASS™ Amplifier Specifications
    1200 Watts @ 2 Ohms
    800 Watts @ 4 Ohms
    500 Watts @ 8 Ohms
    Active/Pasive Input Selector Switch
    9-Band Active EQ
    BASS Control with Normal/Sub EQ Settings
    MID Control with EQ Shift
    HIGH Control with Normal/Define Settings
    Pre or Post-EQ Effects Loop
    Neutrik® Speak-On Output Connectors
    Signal Mute Switch & Tuner Output
    Solo Boost Function

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you could keep the swr and use the line out into something liek a qsc plx or a stewart 1.6 or 2.1, all of which will bridge into 8 or 4 ohms with a ton of power.

or you could save some pennies and get an aggie 750, which is IME, every bit as loud as a bridged stewart 2.1
  16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm surprised the 350 isn't giving you enough sound with that cab. Sensitivity on that bad boy is 104 dB @ 1W 1M ... what cab are you switching from that was so much louder?!

Keep in mind that doubling your power will only increse the volume 3db, which isn't much.
  17. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You could find yourself a good used Grand Prix Preamp and a power amp of your choosing well in excess of 800w for around $700.

Man, if 350w. across a 104db cab ain't loud enough, y'all must be louder than dookie. Watch those ears guy. You only have two and they don't grow back.