1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help a 10 yo with Strings Questions?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by _mac_, Mar 23, 2009.

1. _mac_

_mac_

Mar 23, 2009
    Hi. I'm the parent of a 10 yo boy who is learning to play the double bass in his school orchestra. He has homework to label the parts of his bass, and the book provided doesn't have all parts named. Can anyone help us name a couple of parts we still can't find? Thanks for considering. He's super excited about learning and is already playing simple songs!

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    What are you missing?

If you send me your email address, I'll send you a photo of the great Christopher Double Bass poster I have with all the parts named in German, English, French and Italian! :)

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Will this help?

4. _mac_

_mac_

Mar 23, 2009
    I scanned his worksheet, but the attachment was too large to send here. I can send you a scan of his homework paper if you email me at marthannec@yahoo.com. Thanks so much.

5. _mac_

_mac_

Mar 23, 2009
    I looked at this Wikipedia picture, but the parts we need aren't listed. Thanks so much for replying and attempting to help!

6. _mac_

_mac_

Mar 23, 2009
    Thanks for the help we received here in this forum.

My son should be able to ace his test and continue enjoying his strings class!

Gratefully, MAC

7. There's one very important part that is missing in Clink's pic. Actually two.
    Altogether now...........

8. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    End pin?

9. One down and two to go..........I forgot one that you can't see in the picture. The last one you can't actually see either. If it weren't for one of these last two, the whole bass would fall apart. If it weren't for the other, the top would crack. (more than likely)

10. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Bass bar and sound post!!

What do I win?

Oh yeah, you could also include purfling and saddle. BTW I think it's a terriffic that a 10 year old has such enthusiasm for the DB.

11. A jack socket to plug it in? hehehe, I'm just kidding guys!

12. No and nothing. These are outside parts that you just don't happen to see in the pic. Bass, we could carry this to extremes. Going inside and mentioning not only the bar and the post, but the liners and the blocks and the drips of glue.
    I tried not to get wacko and mention that Clink's bass has violin corners when we all know ( I hope ) that that is just one of four patterns that our basses can have.

Oops, my bad....you got another in your post....the saddle. Not all basses have purfling. (You edit damn quick, man.)
    One more.
    Don't forget, we need to tell the OP what these things are and what they do.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Cup holder? Ashtray?

14. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    OK, so I'm a lousy teacher. Give me one last smoke and show me the wall. Paul, I want you to look me in the eye when you pull the trigger.:bag:

15. How can I look you in the eye with that damn blindfold on?

And Marcus, please stop it. We're tryin' to teach stuff here ya know?

16. kurt ratering

kurt ratering

Dec 2, 2008
    waltham, mass.
    bass luthier, johnson string inst.
    back and ribs?

17. kurt ratering

kurt ratering

Dec 2, 2008
    waltham, mass.
    bass luthier, johnson string inst.
    frets and brandon tuomiko?

18. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    It's de nipples! Forgot de nipples!

19. mac....please forgive my friends. I know you came here for some enlightenment.
    Unlike myownself, these people are just plain silly.
    If you're not completely confused by now, you're just unconfusable. :ninja:

20. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Tailgut and back