Help a beginner out?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fufu, Aug 25, 2002.

1. fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    Hey, I'm sort of new to bass guitar.. I read the FAQ, and I do have some experience in playing, but I want to know a little more about actual bass guitars.. Can anyone help me??

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Can you be a bit more specific as to what you want to know?

Welcome to TalkBass, by the way.
  3. Welcome aboard!

If you have questions, ask away!

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Could you be a little more vague?
  5. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    That's a little too in general. Please be more specific on what exactly do you want to know.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Welcome to Talkbass.. You've come to a great place to learn about the lovely world of bass guitars.. I know i've learned alot :)
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, unlike these other clowns, I'm actually going to tell you everything you need to know. If you follow my suggestions, you will buy only one bass, one amp, and two speaker cabinets in your whole life. You will never have to worry about equipment in your life, and you can concentrate on learning how to play and developing your own style. Virtually any tone you desire will be available to you at the expense of merely turning a few knobs. Yes it will cost you some coin up front, but it will save you many thousands of dollars in the long run. So fasten your seatbelts, and here we go.

OK. Get yourself a Lakland 55-94. Not a 55-01. Not a 55-02. Get a 55-94. Deluxe if you can. (Why not sound good and LOOK good at the same time?) Then, buy yourself an Eden WT-800 head. Yes, it's expensive, but remember, this is the last amp you will ever buy. No one will EVER be able to question your gear. This is the amp used by many top pros. To cap it off, get an Eden D-410XST and a D-210XST. This gives you the option of playing through two tens, four tens, or six tens at a gig. You won't need more. You neither need nor want any cabinets with 15's in them. They are the black holes of tone. Also, it is perfectly acceptable to buy any or all of this gear used, but have an experienced player go with you. Better yet, buy it all from Gard. He'll set you right up.

I'm serious. Do whatever it takes (legally) to obtain exactly this gear and nothing else. Get yourself some Monster instrument cables and speaker cables. Any replacements are free.

If you do this, you will forever thank me profusely, and you will send me fifteen percent of your gigging income out of gratitude. Over.
  8. well said, but you left out essex theyre good basses to start out on and if you dont wana play any more you wouldnt have wasted a hole lot of money heres a link to essex
  9. duct tape, Munji is a sarcasm master. try not to take him seriously too often, you could be placed in jail! ;)
  10. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification