1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help a beginner with amp troubles?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassFTW, Jul 30, 2007.

1. If you can, i'd try and go for a seperate head and cab. That way you can upgrade part of your rig when you feel like a bit of a change or that you want a bit more.

Id also recommend looking used, as you get so much more for your money :)

2. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    Oh, the possibilities are endless. As the above poster said, look for a used head and cab if you plan on joining some sort of band at a later date. As far as practice amps go, the link you posted would probably work, but be warned: behringer as somewhat of a shaky reputation, and 300w for a practice amp may be a tad much. If you can't go out and try the amp, I'd suggest reading all the reviews and gathering your conclusions from there.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I don't want to be a Behringer basher, but I've heard that they're not that great in the long run. For 300 bucks, you could get a small Fender Rumble bassamp, or even a GK Backline. Either of these would serve you well, last a long time, and have some resale value later, when you want to step up to something bigger. A head and cab, well that's gonna be more bucks up front, though you'll wind up wanting or needing one sooner or later. Good luck, I hope you find something that makes you happy.

4. It's the best selling practice amp on MF right now....

What do you mean about the long run? Do they die easily or..? The reviews sound solid, I'll look at our local store before I decide but they're notorious for amp gouging.

5. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
  6. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    Behringer come at a great price, and if you take care of it...it should last. But even my "B" dealer calls it "disposible technology"

7. Oh nice, I should've looked in the GK section before my last post, I found a bunch of practice amps under $300

8. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Shop your local Craigslist or Ebay for a GK backline 600 head and a 1-15", or a 1-12", or a 2-10" cab. If you are patient, you will find a good head/cab for $300. Something like this will be better than most combos.

9. I live with my internet scared 54 and 63 year old grandparents; they order from musiciansfriend because of the call in number so craigslist is not an option.

10. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Go w/ the Fender Rumble then.

11. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Buy second hand. Buy a separate head and cab if you can. You will appreciate it later on, IMO. do not buy Behringer new, unless you intend to keep it for a long time (hence you ahve to like it a lot. There is nothing really wrong with Behringer. The issue is resale value, as they do not hold up as well as other brands, because of past issues.

I seriuosly doubt ppl will able to pick the difference between a mid level amp vs a behringer amp ina bline fold A/B test.

12. Muckaluck

Muckaluck Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Another option is to check out Daddy's Junky Music in Albany (www.daddys.com). They sell used stuff that you can go and try out. If you're living with your grandparents I don't know if you have access to a car or not. If you do, you could shoot down there one Saturday morning and try all the Bass stuff out you wanted. It might cost you $30 worth of gas but the value in the gear could outweigh that.

When I lived in Connecticut I drove to a Daddy's 2 hours away and bought my Genz Benz. I will never regret that drive.

13. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    As long as drums don't enter the picture in any meaningful way and the guitarist has a means of turning down (with modeling amps, it's a distinct possibility), this would probably do well.

My practice amp is an older Fender RAD Bass, the equivalent of a Rumble 25. It has gigged many times with acoustic guitars and hand drums. It's in my living room to practice to the stereo. In short, I love it and wouldn't dream of getting rid of it.

Contrary to most of the advice here, I think $300 is not enough to really get anything for a rock band with drums. Get something smaller now and save up for the next amp. I always recommend a used GK 800RB or something similar. Mine is an older AMP BH-420, but the GK 800RB is much more common and probably cheaper and still a really good amp. Supply and demand.

With that, I'd ultimately recommend finding a used 4x10. Also common, and therefore cheaper. 400 watts and a 4x10 is enough for most real situations. If you need more there's a PA backing you up and you can feed a direct line to let the PA pick up the slack.

KO