Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help a buddy out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sumpunkkid, May 6, 2004.

1. sumpunkkid

sumpunkkid

May 6, 2004
    Ok heres the thing, I have a Squier Fender P-Bass, and Im gonna play in a Punk Band, (alot of Blink 182 and NFG, and stuff like that) so i was wondering what size of an amp im gonna want, The most will prolly be for like 50 people in one of the local bars, any suggestions? I was thinking Ampeg

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Ampeg is good. How much do you have to spend?
    :bassist:

3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey sumpunkid,

Welcome to TB! Not sure if I'm qualified to welcome people as I just got here myself, but welcome nonetheless.

Congrats on the new band. Punk-type band with about 50 people or so per show eh? Well, especially for the loud stuff you'll be on but small-medium venues, I wouldn't go anywhere past 300-350watts @ 4ohms, which most likely puts you at about 250-275 @ 8ohms, depending. That leaves MORE than enough room to get loud and crazy, and room to grow in the future. Yet, you won't be underpowered and hoping for more any time soon.

Going Ampeg, you might wanna check out a B2R. Not too expensive if you go the used route (assuming you are on a budget). But Ampeg is a brand getting into some $$$ so maybe another brand may suit your beginning needs. But a used B2R is a good place to start. You'll still have to buy a cab though. So hmm...

One last suggestion is maybe you might wanna go with a combo amp? Again, going with what you asked about, Ampeg makes a pretty decent 2x10 combo amp with or without digital effects. Also makes a 1x15 combo amp. I owned the BA210 for a little bit. Not enough power for me, but then again, I play for anywhere from 4 people (HAHA, just being honest) to hundreds at any given show. But definitely the BA210 was enough for the small bars. It puts out 200watts with the 2x10s. Plus it has this SVT effects setting that is just AWESOME with the tone. I play punk-ish, heavier alt-rock myself. Try the BA210 out! I think it's a great beginner setup.

Good luck!

=Transverz

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I think you got that covered, Transverz. :)

I think for a crowd of 50, you would probably be OK with a combo. I'd prefer the Ampeg 15", but you should try as many different sizes and brands as you can.

Like it was said, if you can spend a little extra cash, get something with about 250-400W. This would most likely be a separate head and cabinet. I have a 350W amp that is rated at about 240W @ 8 ohms and a 4x10, and it was loud enough for most shows (100+ people).

Just for clarification, there is nothing wrong with having MORE than enough power. It's good to have the extra juice when you need it. Just don't blow out your cab. ;)

I hope this helps.

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    When I was in a PUNK band in the mid 80's I used a Peavy TNT combo and it kicked some serious booty for the music. It's all in the money you have to flip.

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Good call. :) I totally forgot about Peavey. That is a great amp. I'd try to get one of those, if possible. They can be had pretty cheap on eBay.

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    i would figure you wouldn't need to break the bank for punk. older fender stuff also.

8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Welcome aboard sumpunkkid. So you are in a pop punk band who will play to about 50 people. First lets start with how much you are willing to spend? Also another question we need to know is what kind of amps are your guitar player(s) playing? Half stacks? combo amps? We already know how large the shows will be, as well as what kind of music you play and mix. I've played in Hardcore punk bands before as well as hardcore, and metalcore bands. The mix is somewhat similar between hardcore and punk, distorted guitars, loud drums. If you are willing to spend say $700 you could get into some pretty nice used gear, a head with a bit of power and a nice 410 cab. I would suggest one of Avatars B410 cabs, and if you want to spring for the SB115 that they now offer, you would be set for a long time and be able to grow into your amp. Transverz has a good idea, maybe you may want to start out with a nice combo amp, the Ampeg BA series are pretty nice and can offer many nice tones. I've played through one their 15" combos and one of their 2 10" combos and decided that I liked the 15" combo a bit more, a little more cone area which will in turn push more air, and I'm a sucker for 15's. We kind of need to know how much you are willing to spend and what kind of amps your guitar players play (well at least how loud they play).

Hope I helped
    Peace
    -Ben

9. sumpunkkid

sumpunkkid

May 6, 2004
    Well i was hoping to spend like 400 to 600 bucks but i might be dreaming idk, umm, as of right now my guitarist has a halfstack but hes the rich one so im not worried about over powering him, he will buy something bigger lol. But yeah i guess for my first real amp i have no big preference to brand. And im telling you right now i have just my lile fender frontman 15b so im gonna need a head as well if it isnt included.

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO, for the price you're able spend, looking at the used amps in your area would probably be your best bet. The Peavey heads are super-reliable and their Black Widow 15" is also very solid. I'm not sure what their best-made 10" is called but I'd guess it's also gig-worthy.

The Ampeg gear is wonderful, always a good choice IMHO.

Try as many different amp brands you can plug your bass into within your budget.

Like a lot of the people on this forum, I use a separate preamp/poweramp setup. It may be too spendy for you at this time, but down the road... ;)

I've spent more cash than I'd like to admit looking for the tone I like and the volume I need. I've bought a few amps on recommendations, only to sell them later and lose $$$. So, take your time, use your ears, and "Trust your feelings, Luke..." :D

I'd recommend you try to get at least 400 watts @ 8 Ohms, that way you won't have to buy another amp soon.

Hopefully, this helps you out. - A.P.