Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help a fellow bassist out

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by paintballjunkie, Aug 29, 2005.

1. paintballjunkie

paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    Indiana
    ok, so i have basic knowledge of music theory and i know how to write bass lines. but how do you go about doing that? do you make up bass lines with the guitarist or have him write it out and you make it up later. our guitarist is kinda stubborn and won't slow down so i can figure out exactly what he's playing. :help:

2. Try having him tell you the chord progression he is playing in.

3. And if he wont/(more likely)can't tell you; quit, you aren't going to improve playing with him!!!

4. Nirvana4ever

Nirvana4ever

Aug 2, 2005
    It really depends. If your guitarist has a guitar part, find out what key it's in and write a line that sounds good in that key. If you want to write a bass line, play it for him and he will write a guitar part for it. It's sometimes hard to write bass lines. I personally have trouble with it. My advice is to listen to a song with a good bass line and use that as a guide. Change the notes, speed, or style and see what you can do. Good luck. Rock on.