Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help a fellow bassist.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ugly Cassanova, Oct 15, 2003.

1. I'm thinking of joining the town's music festival this year and seeing I can win by playign solo bass.

I've got more then half a year to learn the piece so I quite a bit of time to work on it.

Now the question is, what would be an amazing song I could play for the people? Something very complicated. I'm looking for either a slow tapping/slapping ballad or anything those lines.

Thanks in advanced.

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Try Victor Wooten's "Classical Thump" That would make them all go "OOOHHH & AAAHHH" It's not very slow, but it will make them flip their lids!!!

And I think the word you were looking for is "PLAYING" :p

3. ahaha typo.

Yes, Classical Thump has been in my mind. But i'm not good enough in the least bit to figure the rest of it out that isn't on the internet.

I was thinking something by Michael Manring, but I can't find it anywhere but off the internet.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Vic's rendition of Amazing grace. Everyone will recognize the song, and it is very beautifully, and tastefully done.

Has the wow factor as well.

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Agreed! Amazing Grace!!!!! The transcription is in the new Bass Player (Vic is on the cover)

Amerika (America..spell) the Jaco verson....

6. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, i saw some video or something and he was playing amazing grace in harmonics and stuff amd i tried to figure it out and i didnt get very far. it was very impressive.

7. Portrait? Classical Thump? Amazing Grace? My Name Is Mud?...???:confused:

8. Vic's version of Amazing Grace is really cool!

I'm going to second Portrait of Tracy, tho!

Also, Stanly Calrke's "School Days".

:)

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd say no to Portrait of Tracy. While it is indeed a great piece, I think you almost need to be associated with music, or mainly bass to able to appreciate the mechanics of what makes it what it is.

Classical Thump is indeed impressive, but from a listeners perspective (read, not a musician) it could become redundant to stay interested after 30 seconds.....it is just repetitve wanking to some.

Amazing Grace OTOH, great mechanics, skill level, and this should keep everyones attention, musician or not.....heck, I want to start stomping my foot listening to the recording alone :D

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    How about Stu Hamm's "Star spangled banner" ??

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Do Dominique DiPiazza's "Marie", it is the solo tune on John McLaughlin's 'Que Alegria' album...

Man, you pull that one off... your town's music festival will really be blown away...

just my .02

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    How about Gene Simmons' "God of Thunder" solo?

:D :D :D

I know, I know -- if you don't have anything constructive to add...

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hilarious hategear! Why do you hate gears though? I find them useful...

Jaco - Teen Town

Good luck. :D

Wait I just noticed you said something slow. Forget slow you want to impress learn Teen Town! Again... good luck! ;)

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ha, that would be hilarious. Just repeating that main riff over and over again.

I got a better idea. Magic Bus by the Who. :)

15. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    La Villa Strangiato, done in all tap.

16. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I would take into consideration the crowd that is going to be there and the judges frame of mind. "portrait of tracy" would be nice. Why not take a little of all the comments and try yo combined some of it.

Kinda like a medley. End with Amazing Grace, it would bring the house down. If you want to play something a little rockin' try "Black Ice" by Stu Hamm.

GOOD LUCK

17. I have scammed my music teacher into trying to find Michael Manrings transcribed book.

I'd really like to play No Wontons For Elvis.

If not, I think i'll play Autumn Leaves by Michael Dimin. .. or maybe both?

Edit: or maybe if i work my ass off, I'll be able to play Chromatic Fantasy.