1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help a guitarist out! What kind of bass rig do I need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny Morales, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    I've recently gotten into bass a bit. I just bought at Lakland 55-01. I currently have an old Roland cube amp that is totally blown. I'm looking to get a solid bass amp. Don't have much to spend ($300-400 max).

Need some recommendations. I play mostly rock and funk. I don't play out much but want something to practice but with enough power to play at a small club if need be.

Any brand or combo vs. stack recommendations would be great!

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would just look at the used market wherever you are.

You would need $600-1000 for a medium quality setup.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Do a T/B search on the Ampeg B-100r. Get all gased up, then go find yourself a nice used one, you will love it. ($250-$400)

4. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    You should get a head with 3 to 4x the wattage of the most powerful guitar amp you would have to play over. Solid state wattage is different than tube wattage. Solid State requires more watts where a tube amp with less wattage would compare about the same. 300w tube is about 700+ s.s. maybe more.

So look for a 300 to 400 watt starter amp. SWR 350x etc...
    Also try getting a cabinet cheap. You CAN find deals...

5. +1 what he said. :)

6. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    My first rig was an Ampeg B2R head with a BSE410HLF cab. I got the head for $200 (used) and the cab was about $500 (used). Great set up.

7. +1 on the ampeg stuff. I really liked the ampeg stuff i owned but i just moved on to other stuff. Nothing at all wrong with ampeg IMHO.

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    If I had $300-400 to spend, I'd buy a Hartke 3500 head, and a used Avatar 4X10 cab. Aguilar also has a really low price on their 4X10 cab. You'd have a nice sounding, loud rig.