Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help a guy choose a Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Fender USA Jazz Deluxe 5

29 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. Fender Marcus Miller 5

15 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne 5

14 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. Lakland Daryl Jones 5

42 vote(s)
    42.0%
  1. OK folks here's the deal. After considering virtually every J style 5 on the market in my price range, I have narrowed it down to these. I know there are tons of other basses just like this or worse or better for more or less money but these are my firm choices.

Please cast a vote to help me choose.

Just take this into consideration. This bass is going to be used in conjunction with a Sadowsky outboard preamp. I have my reasons for not actually buying a Sadowsky.

Thanks for the help.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    MM...I dig it very much so. I've never tried a 5'er but the 4 strings are very nice indeed.

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    You get a 5 stringer... it has to be one of the Laklands.

I own both the DJ5 and the JO5...

Both Great...Different sounds...70's vs. 60's sound respectively...
    However, they don't sound different enough to make them not in the same league.

A lot of people say the DJ5 is more "aggressive" sounding, I believe the exact opposite. I feel like the JO5 is the more aggressive sounding one. The DJ5 sounds bigger (fatter low end), but I think the JO5 is more my cup of tea. In terms of looks, you can't beat the DJ5.

Both are great...but regardless, if it's a 5, you need the Lakland. One of the best sounding B string if not "THE BEST" B string I've heard. Check out my roster.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My FMT 5 string (basically a dressed-up deluxe) is the best bass I've ever owned, bar none.

5. I haven't tried any of those basses, but I'd be leaning toward the Skyline basses. I really like the block inlays in the DJ, but I'm not sure which is the "better" bass...

6. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I have not played the JO, but the DJ beats the Fenders IMO.
    Wonderful bass the DJ, and a good B.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I cast my vote for the Marcus Miller, just because that's the one I'm in love with. But I think no matter which way you go with any of those, you can't lose. They're all great basses, especially the DJ5,

8. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I just went through a similar search as yours and for just $2-300 more you could probably get a Valenti Made to your own specs.

Just throwing an option out there for ya.

9. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    If you are definitely going to use a Sadowsky pre I personally wouldnt hook that up with an active bass, might sound a bit 'unnatural' ....

Without using the Sadowsky pre I'd get the Fender Jazz Deluxe.

A Lakland or indeed a Fender passive would be the way to go if you wanted to use the Sadowsky pre.

My opinion of course

10. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    The DJ5 is the one I like the most so far

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've heard people have great responses with DJ5's and Sadowsky Pre's. Considering the tones I've heard out of the Sadowsky Pre, which to my ears is aggressive and borderline harsh, I think the DJ would be the better fit. The JO5 would be a pretty good fit too if you wanted to "Fatten" things up... but again, my vote still goes for the Laklands.

That's actually a really good point. Nino makes a fantastic product too. He should check and see if Nino does truly passive basses. Most of his basses come with on board pre-amps, and this guy already has a Sadowsky outboard pre.

But regardless of Lakland or Valenti, you're getting a quality product, which IMHO is much better than the fenders (which i've played in shops) ... I'd know :D

[​IMG]

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

After owning a MIM Jazz V, trying out a Dimension V, and playing a few MIA Fender fivers, I can honestly say that i have never been impressed with a Fender five string bass. Everyone of them had a floppy B-string.

I love most of their 4-strings but I sold my MIM Jazz and bought a Lakland Skyline 55-01. No comparison. The Lakland stomped all over the Fender. Yes, it was double the price, but it was easily five times the performance.

13. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    The statement is generally true that you get what you pay for.

I've never played a five string bass under $1,000 USD or so that was any good IMO....

I guess it takes a lot more skill to get it right.

14. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the 55-01 is a pretty great deal at $699. I'm sure there are a lot of great basses out there for < $1000, but in general, the chances of you getting a great one increase as you increase the skrilla... :smug:

15. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Have you checked into a Benavente jazz bass? There are SO many options that leave the Fender American basses far behind. Handmade attention to detail by Chris Benavente, a 3-piece neck verses a one piece offering from Fender. Active/passive electronics choice by simply pulling up on the bass knob. Series/parallel pickup choice by simply pulling up on the volume knob(s). Custom Benavente pickups made by Kent Armstrong (aka, Ken Smith pickups - known for superb clarity). Top loading or string thru body string loading. Plus, in the flat position the active preamp sounds EXACTLY (not an exageration - sp?) like the passive mode until you start making bass/mid/treble changes via the knobs. Piano-like clarity through ALL five strings, incredible playability. Just like the Valenti, for about $200-$300 dollars more than the some of the basses in your list, maybe less than some of the others in your list. I have one and will never ever part with it. I guess I'm just echoing the other statements here that you are this-close to something handmade and far above a mass-production offering in terms of features, quality of build, and tonal options.

16. I'm happy to report that I'm pulling the trigger on a black sparkle Lakland DJ5 Sunday at Columbus guitar show. Thanks for all your input.

17. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Nice. I was considering much the same and pulled the trigger the other day on the same thing you did... Black DJ5. Gets here the beginning of next week and I can't wait.

I was going to hold out for the maple fretboard but the GAS was too much for me. I purchased a tort pickguard for it... think it looks pretty sweet.
    ---
    Chris

18. Id go the MIA Jazz Deluxe. Great bass, very versatile. It's just an awesome bass overall! Great neck, etc...

19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I absolutely love my 2004 MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe V. Awesome tone with all onboards set flat. Just a damn good playing, feeling and sounding bass. The best 5er I've owned so far. The newer ones 2003 and later (w/SCN pickups and 18 volt electronics) are hand over fist better than previous versions.
    -Bazz-