1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help a new guy to a pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Oct 7, 2010.

1. I've been playing for over 30 years (yikes!) Anyway, never been much for effects, mostly straight to the amp kind of guy with some on-board EQ.

Well, the band has minimized to a three-piece wedding/corporate/private party type of thing. Drums/bass/guitar(and trumpet).

Did our first three piece gig last weekend, very well received.

gui**** gave me a DOD Mini Chorus 460 and a Digitech delay. I won a Sansamp BDDI. SO I hooked them up to a pedal board.

I am looking for suggestions as to what effects might be useful to this type of setup. Our music style is covers. classic rock, country, 50-60's, polka, a little swing.

Thanks for the help.

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Can you get all the sounds you want? Is the band's sound lacking a certain something you think you could provide with pedals?

3. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Out of those genres, I can't think of anything else that you would need that wouldn't already be covered by the pedals that you own. I'm also not entirely sure you need the delay (unless there is a specific song that you cover that requires it).

4. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Use that BDDI for... DISTORTION for dirty country!

And then add a blazing fuzz.

:ninja:

5. Envelope filter for funk, fun, and craziness?

6. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    You stand at the edge of a black hole. Back away slowly before it sucks your wallet into the void!

You made it 30 years without a stomp box. Probably a reason for that.

I made it 30 years too, and then I fell for one. The regrets, the wasted dough, the paper weights on my desk that say, Boss, MXR, Tech 21, Zoom.

The Sansamp will probably be a keeper, it'll give you a couple useful options. I use a MXR M-80 di + every night, the rest sit home until I sell them, swear never again, and try to stay on the straight and narrow. One box, and some spare batteries.

The rest?
    Sell em in the effects classifieds and buy your gui**** a beer.

7. Thanks for a being a voice of reason.

I might replace the chorus he gave me because I don't think it's working quite right. Very old and very beat up.

8. Thanks everyone for the tips and opinions.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021