help a new guy

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by aokcc_norny, Apr 8, 2001.

1. aokcc_norny

Apr 8, 2001
    hi im new to bass playing but everywhere i go all the sites seem to be for slightly better than me. so i have a few questions

1.which part of the guitar is the fret. and when someone says hold down third fret is that from the tope or the bottom(if you know what i mean)
    2. sometimes my guitar makes a metallic type sounds that it shouldnt do is that my fault or the amp?
    3. could someone try and explain this tab for me as im unable to read it

4.what does it mean if it says a song is mainly eigth notes and quarter notes

5. is the any FAqs for tfng(total freaking new guy)

6. how happy will i be if you answer all these questions for me
    very very happy.

2. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    A fret is a mettalic strip on your neck. You should really play as close to the fret as possibal, and by close I mean right behind it or just to the left. The first fret would be the one closest to the head, so the third would be the one just to the right of the first dot on the neck. The metallic sound is probably from you not pushing down hard enough, and that will change with time as your fingers get stronger.

BTW, if you have no musical experience I would strongly sugest looking into some lessons, and if you do have some musical experience then I would at least sugest a few lessons to get you started.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Check out:

Those sites have beginner lessons that will help you immensely until you can find a teacher or friend who can orient you to the bass.

As for the tab, it is very hard to know the timing of the notes as they are written there. If you can learn to read standard music noatation, you will be much better off. It takes awhile to learn, but, actually, it takes awhile to figure out Internet tab too.

4. Oi! peoples peoples, be polite now.

Now Norny, welcome to TB, i am your resident idiot who hates drummers cause i can. :p For once i will agree with the others, i suggest you get a teacher. That way he/she (she now i wish i had a teacher, a teacher who was a she!) anyways, back to what i was saying. If u have a teacher, you can ask this person all those questions during the course of the lesson and they can point out straight away. then u can move onto the eight notes, the 16th notes etc

5. aokcc_norny

Apr 8, 2001
    thanks a lot everyone. im currently reading my way through the libster
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Libster is an excellent place to start. Don't neglect either, as there are so many resources at that site. You will be busy a long time absorbing all the information those sites will give you.

If there's anything you don't understand, come here to ask.