Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help a newbie

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Apr 11, 2003.

1. sup
    ok im newbie so anything i say might sound strange. ok, if someone gives you a sheet with guitar chords on it, and wants you to play, how do u play it?:confused:

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You need to be a little bit more specific with your post. This way we can help you better.

It depends on what the chord changes on the charts are as to what we would play over them.

Without knowing anything more specific all I can tell you to play is root and 5th of whatever chord you're seeing on the chart, since neither of these determine chord quality they will work over both major and minor chords.

By the way, you should fill out your profile.

3. ok, since u guys want something to work off of, here it is:

Verse:
    D G
    G D/F# A/E A
    D G
    G D/F# A/E A

Chorus:
    D G D/F# A/E A D G
    G D/F# A/E A
    D G D/F# A/E A D G D/F# A/E A

D G D/F# A/E A
    D G D/F# A/E A (D)

church song, kinda fun

4. Looks like the song is in Dmaj. For now, since you probably don't know theory, just play the roots, fifths, and octaves like Cass said.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Until you learn theory, Id primaraly stick with a root, fifth motion of progression while sometimes using chromatic approaches here and there to tie some of the changes together.

Like for the 1st line of the 1st verse, Im assuming the G comes in on beat 3 since theres only 2 notes. You could play something simple like D E G A

D being the root, E being the 2nd, G being the 4th (and also your target note in this case) then use an A which is the 5th of D or an F# which is the Maj 3rd, and also a chromatic approach.
    to lead back into the G
    So your line could look something like this
    D E A G or D E F# G

I dont know if you know this, but on the chords where you see D/F#, A/E, or any 2 notes like that, you are supposed to play the 2nd of the two notes, while the rest of the band plays the 1st.

Also sit in your room or whereever you wont be distracted and play your bass over the changes, and see what you come up with on your own.

Im sure someone with more knowledge on theory than me will give you a better explanation and simplify this a bit more than I could.

What song are you talking about? Ive played for a few churches and am curious to know.

6. the song is called undignified
    i will dance i will sing to be mad for my king,
    nothing lord is hindering this passion in my soul

and i'll become even more indignified then this,
    some might say its foolishness

i think thats about 3/4 of the song, all i can remember from memory

7. I'm currently loving worship/gospel music. I just joined a Youth for Christ/Couples for Christ band here. Definitely good times. Havn't had this much fun in a while.