Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help a semi-noob out...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heretic, Aug 24, 2004.

1. I have been playing for a year and a half or so and I have decided its time to dump my washburn XB100 (first bass) for some quality.

I am looking between $400-$600... I play primarily hard rock/metal and Im open to anything. Weight isnt that much of a problem (I actually kind of like it to be a bit on the heavy side) So far I have got my eye on the Ibanez EDB605GP and the Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB. I have heard wonderful and bad things about the Peavey and the Ibanez was reccomended by a buddy of mine who has been in numerous bands. I also have a thing for the natural finish on the Peavey...

with that said, lets hear some opinions...

THANKS

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The Ergodynes smell funny.. and they develop a crap factor over time.. Get the BXP

3. I played a Grind recently, and while it looked very nice in person, it felt really, really cheap. I didn't see anything in particular wrong with the one I played, but I was too turned off by it to try it for very long. Playability was decent, but the B string was floppy. It was nothing like the Kingston 5 hanging right next to it. That being said, I only played one and it could be a lemon, but there are a lot of choices in that price range. I also played a specter during the same trip, and while it badly needed a setup, it felt <b>a lot</b> nicer than the Grind, for only $150 more, if I recall correctly.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Crap factor? That's so specific and informative. :rolleyes:

The Grind is pretty cool, but both of the ones I've played had horrific fret ends. I played the non-BXP, it was $500 CAD (both stores), which is a damn good price for the bass. If you're going to go Ergodyne, skip the 600 series. If you can find any of the EDC700 series, you're golden. They sold the most and had really glowing reviews everywhere I read, and the only complaint was a slight smell of gas that faded with time.

EDIT: Which is why I don't know why they stopped making the EDC700's...

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

get a fender P-bass MIM.

7. Dviper

Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    Well heretic, i also am looking to buy a 2nd bass. started with an Ibanez SR300. I'v done a lot of research. and i'v decided to get the Tribute G&L L-2500. I played it at the stores for hours and its great. its $600. can get it for cheaper on ebay.

BTW, i play hard rock and metal too. Metallica/Megadeth/Zep/GnR/STP...among others

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm a big fan of buying from the used market. A used Fender American P or a used Lakland would serve you well and also have a good resale if you change your mind later.

9. I don't know how far the Ergodynes have come, but I briefly owned a EDB 400, and I have to say it's was my least favorite bass. I loved the way it looked, but that was the only thing I dug about it. I could never find a tone I could get into. For me, it was just too hollow (severely lacking definition) and really sounded like plastic, and I couldn't eq that out for the life of me. Plus, the gas/lighter fluid smell hadn't worn off mine yet, and it was from the late 90's. When I had to get in the control cavity, I thought I was going to pass out.

As for the Peavey, I own a Millenium 5 AC BXP, and IMHO it's above and beyond great for what it is. Cost me in the neighborhood of $360 brand new, and there aren't many basses around in that price range that can touch it IMHO. It has a lot of features for the price range, I think it looks killer, I'd give the construction a 7 out of 10, it's tough as a tank, and it has a sort of neutral modern sound, that can be shaped into a wide variety of tones, via the onboard three band eq, pickup blend, and playing position.

Still, for me, my little $350 Spector Q4 Pro just kills everything else (but other Spectors or custom jobs). The only bass I can think of that beats the Peavey for the price. Then again, that's pretty much the exact sound/tone in my head, YMMV. I just love growl, and the Spectors seem to have the most agressive growl in the business. I think that would make them ideal for a hard rock/metal band.

As for looks, the body shape and the Amberburst finish have quickly become favorites. As for build quality, it has the nicest neck of any bass I've owned, and some other things are hard to judge, because the bass did a hard period of time under someone before being returned to GC. :rollno: Among the damage they did; several dings, polish swirling, surface scratches galore, and a scratchy jack. I wish things were better financially, I would score an Amberburst Rex from Musician's Friend.

Anyway, all the above is strictly based on my opinions and limited experience. In the end, I think you should just get what you want, whatever that is. :D

10. Thanks for all the help :smug: I think I am going to go with the Spector Performer 5, seems everyone here thinks they are great. Any objections?
    [​IMG]

plus with the money saved I can swing a nice amp. :hyper: