Help! A string tuning post is weird

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mahc, Dec 30, 2005.

1. mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Ok..I have a SX SPJ-62 bass..

(if needed, I can post real pictures of my bass but I dont have my camera with me right now so I had to draw)

(I used Geezerman's picture)

a diagram

I have no clue why my bass started doing this..i think it happened after I adjusted the truss rod a bit..

I even bought a new A string but it does the same thing

:help: ! The string sounds weird when I strike it.

2. This is a common problem that occurs when the A string hasn't had enough wraps made around the post to keep the string pulled down at an angle across the nut. The weirdness you hear is actually the A string vibrating in the nut because it needs more downforce to keep tight.

It sounds like you are new to this so check to see if you've wrapped the string around the post so that the windings wrap towards the headstock and keep the string angled. If it isn't, you can fix the problem by having about 3 or more wraps of the A string around the post. That's the solution to this with Fender style headstocks.
  3. mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    my A string is tied about 3 times..i tried to push down the string when tighting but it just comes back up
  4. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    When you put the string on, before you started winding it, did you put the end of the string 'across' the slot, or did you put the tip of the end of the string down into the hole in the center of the tuner, and then bend it over through the slot before you started winding?

Just wondering because you 'can' do it both ways, it's just that sometimes with the end of the string stuck down into the hole, it's a little more stable.
  5. mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Wow, after about a million tries, the string is still the same.

I kept everything you both have said in mind..but i guess i just have to play with a bad A string.. :meh: :crying:

Thanks for replying
  6. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Did you snip your string length before winding? If so, try using a new string and don't snip it, so that way you'll have more winding around the post.

If worse comes to worse, you could always install another string tree.
  7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I find that on Fender style headstocks the A string is always higher in the place you seem to be indicating. That's normal, so forget about that. What is "weird" about the sound?
  8. mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    it sounds like a metal buzzing against another metal really fast but just barely..and the sound isnt fret buzz because the sound is coming from where the tuning thing is..

The thing is, when i push the A string down at the top, the sound becomes much more cleaner and the buzzing goes away..
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would say, install another string tree. The previous owneer of my jazz bass did it, and it sounds great.
  10. mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    How much would a tuning tree be? Would it be hard to install?

I'm going to go out and buy another string and this time, not cut it before I put it in the tuning post. Hopefully this works cause I dont wanna have to install a tuning tree..
  11. mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    So the string still comes up even if I didnt cut it..theres probably about 10 wraps yet its still the same as 3 wraps lol. I just dont understand, when I first got the bass (about a month ago) the string was at level with the others but now it suddenly comes up by itself..
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Normally I wouldn't suggest a string tree, but since you're playing an SX, I would probably put one on it. They're dead easy to install (you just need to drill a small pilot hole for the screw and screw it in), and would clear your problem up. Check the above pic to see where to put it.

The one flaw of Fender and Fender style basses is the A string. Almost always, wrapping more windings around the string post cures the problem, but if it's still popping up, for about $5 you can fix it with a string tree.
  13. you can also use a string tree like the one on my Yamaha...

this is basically a bar under which all 4 strings pass. The bar is attached via a screw on each end and can be lowered as necessary.

Generally speaking, though, you don't need to put a string tree on the A-string of a Fender style bass, you just need to get enough wraps on the post that the string pushes down properly....because of the concave shape of the post, the string will seek the thinnest diameter of the post and no amount of "pushing" while winding will change this...the only thing that will change the final string position is the NUMBER of wraps (more = lower).
  14. Hambone and PilaraBass are right. If there are enough windings to cause sufficient downward force, the problem will be cured. Take it to a store and have the tech show you how to install the A string. It can be frustrating until you figure out what you're doing.
  15. This is an uninformed opinion - but typical for the poster. :rolleyes:

The angle from the nut to the tuner on an SX can't be of any higher or lower quality than the angle on a Fender. And, as a matter of fact, the SX necks have a slightly deeper drop from the nut to the face of the headstock than Fenders - a detail that helps correct low downforce across the nut.
  16. I think what Jimmy meant by the statement was that since it is an SX, and cheap enough to not worry about doing destructive things like drilling extra holes, that another string tree could be a justifiable quick fix.

Personally, I'm a proponent for not doing anything unecessary, regardless of the instrument value. (Unless of course it's a wishbass :D )
  17. mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    by any chance, does the silk on the string help it come down? most of the silk on mine wore off (due to constant touching)
  18. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Funny you should be talking about this because I had a funny metal buzzing on my bass. It turns out that one of tuning pegs was a bit loose. The part that you hold whilst tuning it up. It was rattling on the shaft its mounted on

My advice to you would be to place your hand on all things metally on your bass such as the tree the tuners (each piece of the tuner) the bridge everything and see if you can feel something vibrate when you hit it. See if it can be tightend. If that solves nothing try another tree.
  19. mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    nevermind, it wasnt loose
  20. more wraps (forget an extra string tree)

more wraps (silk isn't an issue)

more wraps (if you can't get enough wraps, then a new string cut longer will do it)